Owens River Burned

hronk

Reaction score
At about 3:30pm on Friday a fire started just north of Line Street behind the airport.  By 10pm it had burned north to Laws and south to Line St bridge.  It burned along both sides of the river and basically opend up access to the river from Line st., to Highway 6.  I would guess about 6 miles of river.  This area has been only accessable by float boat for  the last 15-20 yrs (since last fire)  Most of the Wild Rose, Willow, Cottonwood and Tules are gone.   This area has been stocked by the river guides with Alpers Rainbow  trout in excess of 5 lbs regularly over the last few years.  It should be red hot fishing for the next month or so until everyone finds out about it....Please...  let the Browns go.  They are the only ones that successfully spawn on the river.....hronk  

Thonzberry

Reaction score
hronk,
Thanks for the info. I hope no one got hurt in the fire. I'll see you in May when I come up for my annual fishing trip up there..............

D Sea

Reaction score
Hronk,

Although this will open areas of the river up to shore anglers, I hate to hear this.  Any word on how the fire started?  Hopefully just a freak accident or act of nature, and not by someone with malicious intent.

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
Well,

So much for my secluded drift area.  Most of the folks who fish that stretch practice catch and release.  The area has only a few spots for bait dunkers so this once hot spot, unfortunately may be in question. I bet the Guides are going nuts.

I guess the only thing constant is change.

Top Bottom