Owens Valley

huntducks

Reaction score
Just got back from 10 day's up in the OV. there are few if any birds there, my few secret spots produced 4 birds in more hours than I should have spent.

X9C hunters I saw 5 nice bucks, and a HUGE bull elk 300 to 320 easy man that elk was nice as big as I have seen in the valley, got into a few quail but nothing to do back flips over.

The fishing made up for the lack of ducks, the planters were bigger, and the bass were decent, I caught some nice 2-4lb fish.

Hronk where you hidding at stopped at Macks 1/2 doz times, someone told me he thought you were out chasing chukars or is that what you tell your wife (hehehe).

(Edited by huntducks at 9:00 pm on Oct. 25, 2001)

Megadeth

Reaction score
From what the forecasters are telling us, it sounds like we can expect a downward trend of birds for the next few years. Hopefully it does'nt go so far as drying out the springs!

hronk

Reaction score
huntducks:  It's true!  The Honker hunter has gone nuts over the Nevada Chukar this year.  It has been awsome.  I've been doing goodd on the quail from Line SSt south to Klondike to.  My youngster (2yr old Lab) has really turned oon to the upland birds this year.  It's really been fun.  Call me when you get up again.  We'll find something to shoot.....hronk

WingSetter

Reaction score
I wish this report was a few days eariler. You could have saved us a long drive. Me and my buddy Kid Creole were up there Thurs, Friday and found the same thing NOTHING.  We came home early due to the fact there was no DUCKS.  IN fact the only ducks we seen were in a Park. Were there any ducks there for the opener? We checked from Mammoth all the way back through Bishop, and Independance.  Did see a bunch of trout.  

huntducks

Reaction score
WingSetter

My brother-in-law hunted opener and said what local birds that did not get dead left for other parts of the country, and your right the only birds that I saw in any numbers were at the golf course and park.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
What roads to you take off the hwy to go Hunt up there, I've hunted at a club but no public land.

WingSetter

Reaction score
Pretty much any one off the main hwy, everyone leads to the river. Look on  a map or Delorme guide you can see the road you want as it crosses the river. Checked a lot of roads from Mammoth through Independance and a very good majority run you right up to the river.  Bring your poles as you will see more trout than Ducks.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Thanks for info, I'll have give it a try. Thanks agian

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I'll be heading up to our place in Bridgeport this weekend.  We will be leaving Friday afternoon and this will put us in the valley during the evening.  I'd like to stop for an hour or two and fish a stream that is somewhere between Lone Pine and Bishop and not too far from the highway.  Any recommendations on where to stop?  I'd just like to squeeze as much fishing as I can into the weekend.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
I've heard about the sand traps near Lone Pine, but never found out where they are. Maybe someone hear has some info.

Top Bottom