Owl Help

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi folks. I have built two cams now and have gotten a few pics. I have a problem with my first one that I built now and it seems to flash and take pics with out any reason. It does this in or out of the cam. I checked the connector where you plug it to the sensor and in fact tooh it off cause of problems stated with RS plugs. It still keeps taking pics. Any help as what to look for would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Maurice.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Are your batteries fresh.  I had one do this too, but I never really figured it out.  I charged the battery again and it seemed to go away.  It hasn't done it since.

good luck

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
ArkansasElkHunter, yes I did change the batteries, a couple times in fact. I thought that would do it also but didn't seem to help. Thanks for the reply and good hunting.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
MCinIL, Is there any pattern to the flashes(does it flash every so many seconds)?
When you disconnect it from the PIR does it still flash? If it does you have a solderproblem inside the camera.I had this happen to me once where I soldered inside cam.LOL

(Edited by TNDEERHUNTER at 11:41 am on Mar. 20, 2002)

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
TNDEERHUNTER, yes it does still flash after I disconnect it and I am sure it is inside the camera. I guess I"ll just have to take it apart and undo and see what I can. I also have one that got wet form an enclosure that didn't keep all the water out. My fault. All it does is keep advancing the film until it is empty. I hope the thing dries out and starts to work right. I have it all apart now and waiting for it to dry. Always challenging to fix these things huh. Something to do until turkey season anyway.  MC.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
They sure are challenging to fix. I wish I would have taken a pic of mine so I could show you where to look. As far as the one that got wet. If you think one is wet turn the power off right away and let it dry out and they usually will be fine. Of course that goes for any electronics if thier wet always turn power off so it doesn't short out. Sorry I couldn't help. Good luck.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
I came into the living room one sunday morning to find the TV fliping through chanels as fast as it could go.  when I started trying to figure out what had happened, I noticed everything was wet.  Come to find out my 3 yr old had taken the spray bottle we used to wet his hair before church and sprayed about half of it into the Sony Tinitron.  I took the thing apart out of despiration and took the hair dryer and ran it over the boards inside for 15 min of so.  Put it back together and walah, it worked again.  That was 5 yrs ago and it's still working great.    Since then I have had 2 more children and when they drop on of teir electronic toys in the bathtub, I take them apart and use the hair dryer with about a 95% sucess ratio.  Watch and take care not to overheat any plastic that you can't remove.  I would totaly disassemble the case though.

as long it will do something, you should be able to save it.

Good Luck

Ment to add: if you let it dry out on it's own it may corode some connections and never work right

(Edited by ArkansasElkHunter at 1:49 pm on Mar. 20, 2002)

MBullism

Reaction score
I know this is a little off topic, but I had RS PIR that was wet.  Couldn't really take it apart/remove it from the housing I built it into, so I set the whole unit atop the furnace and kept checking on it.  Was a nice warm (but not too hot) place and in four hours...viola, it seems as good as new...

M

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the help. When I get home from work the wet Owl is going on top of the furnace. It's a good place for it,as said but not to hot. I'll put it back together tonight and see how it goes. My K-mart has them on sale now for 40 bones so maybe the wife won't mind too much. Let you know what happens.

(Edited by MCinIL at 2:20 pm on Mar. 20, 2002)

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
To all, thanks for the ideas for my watered down camera. I got home, built a fire in the fireplace, set the camera infront of it, ate dinner, and had a cold brew. I put it back together and wow, it worked like a new one. Saved 40 bucks but who knows, another one for that price may be good. The other cam may be another question. Thanks MC.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Congrads MC glad to here you got at least one of them fixed.Its amazing what a cold brew will do. HeHe

:bounce-green:

Top Bottom