OWL PF and Lithium Batteries

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting some lithium batteries for my two OWL PF's. Then I looked at the owners manual and it said not to use lithium batteries in the camera. Is anyone using lithium batts in their OWL PF's? And why would they advise against it in the manual? Just thought I would ask before I made the investment.

gtk

Reaction score
Uh Oh..  I didnt read the manual and I've been using lithium batteries.  I also recently had two camera's crap out on me.. One with the LCD display, and the other's flash went out.  Maybe there is some connection.  I've been using lithium batteries for about 3 months now..  I'll say one thing.. They last a long time.

MBullism

Reaction score
Yeh, the BATTERIES do...

Seriously, I don't know if the two are related...

(Edited by MBullism at 3:52 pm on Feb. 8, 2002)

Dbworld

Reaction score
Does anybody use Nimh rechargable batteries.  I've just recently been looking into these.  Supposedly they last 2 - 3 times longer than an alkaline battery...and are rechargable several hundred times.  I just ordered several from Allectronics with a charger.  I got 1600 mah batteries...I could have got 1800 mah for cheaper on Ebay.  I'm hoping they are all they are cracked up to me.   I have so many thing that run (flashlights, cameras, GPS, etc) on AA batteries that I'm hoping these work out as well as they say.  As a matter of fact when I buy battery operated stuff I look for things that run on aa batteries only because I usually have so many laying around.  If these work out even 1/2 as well as they claim...I'll be buying several more.  I figure with that big bite out of my battery budget...I'll have more money to make more cams....

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi DB,
I've never tried NiMh batts in the cams - might work.  One consideration though...  The "cell" voltage of the NiMh batts is ~1.2V, while the cell voltage of an alkaline is ~1.5V.  So if the item *requires* 3 (or 6 or 9,etc) volts to operate properly, the NiMh batts won't get you that voltage.

Archilochus

Dbworld

Reaction score
I thought of that too. But I went to the Energizer site mainly to see how many mah a typical alkaline batter has.  They also sell Nihm batteries and I went out to the FAQ.  That question was posted as one of them.  It said on there that the 1.2v will (not should) run anything that standard 1.5v alkaline will run.  

I'll be getting mine next week and plan on putting the charged batteries in everything I own to make sure they will work before I buy too many more.  

I figure I need at least 30 just have batteries in all the stuff I use a lot.  Then I'd need to buy at least 12 more as charged back ups.

In the long run though (assuming it works) I think it'll save me a bundle.  Seems I'm buying 8 or 12 more batteries every month.  Especially during hunting season.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Db, I have used NiMH for several years. Work great, and am still charging some of the original ones I bought. Love um.

Butch

Dbworld

Reaction score
Butch,

So are you saying you haven't run into any problems running things that need multiple batteries?

If so....maybe I'll go out to Ebay and get some 1800 mah now.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm not a battery expert .... but consider this....

The MS-20 will run on a 6 volt supply.
When the batts get run down near ~5 volts, the MS-20 will become unstable and shoot off whole rolls of film (ask Tinhorn about that one).

So - when you have 4x alkaline cells in parallel, the total voltage = 6 volts nominal.  Use NiMh batts or NiCd instead and the total voltage will only be 4.8 volts nominal.  That's well below the ~5 volt minimum needed by the MS-20.

Lots of devices that run on 4x alkaline cells have 4.8 & 5 volt regs in them.  These devices might become unstable with the lower supply from 4x NiMh or NiCd.
That's the way my circuits behave - I need to toss in an extra NiMh to up the total voltage to 6 volts.  Or in some cases I've replaced the 5 volt reg with a 4 volt job (PIR range went down though).

The guys at Energizer are no doubt right - NiMh will "run" any circuit that normally uses alkalines, but they didn't specify that the circuit would run properly :)

There's also the issue of self-discharge.  Used with very low-power circuits  (like Brians timers), the NiMh & NiCd batts will lose almost as much energy (or more) through internal discharge than they do running the circuit.  NiMh & NiCd will run high drain items like digital cams much longer than alkalines, but not low current circuits.  But when they do work in a device, the savings in $$ is considerable.

Archilochus

Dbworld

Reaction score
I learn something new everyday.  

Well I plan on using them in digital and 35mm cameras, external slave flash, flashlights, and gps. All pretty high drain stuff i think? So I should still be good.   For the sensor RS ones anyway I'll continue with a standard Alkaline.  On my MS20S I have two 12 v with Gelcell batteries so I'm good there.  The other I have a 6v set up with a motorcycle battery.  That should last forever and then some.

Thanks for the info Arch. :big-grin-aqua:

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
I Agree, Learned something new also. Guess on any MS20s from now on, I'll use 9 or 12, not 5 or 6.

Butch

flahunter

Reaction score
I have been using Lithiums for the last two years now and no problem at all! I use the ones from radio shack but I am also using rechargeable ones now to save money

Tinhorn

Reaction score
As Usual, Archie is right about the 1.2v   VS   1.5v's, I agree with everything he said.  (and the MS20 becomes unstable when the volts gets down to 4.9 or so)

In the old days, even Alkalines were 1.2v.  One of my Metal Detectors had a built-in, single AA battery holder for a battery tester,  I rewired it so it added an extra AA in series with the other 8 batteries, trying to boost the voltage to get as close to 12v as possible, using those 1.2v alkalines.  For the Best Depth tho, I always used AA's with a true 1.5volts (the Zinc Batteries)......

I'm sure glad they got the Alkies up to 1.5 volts

Tinhorn

Latest Posts

Top Bottom