Owl PF Broken Traces

Tinhorn

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, somebody said he'd tear into an Owl PF which was scrap and try to determine where the traces that went behind the Vert Board went (if someone would send him one, I think he said)

Sorry, don't remember who but did you ever find out?

Just want to add that info to my files "Just in Case"

Tinhorn

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Another thing we need to know is whether or not there is a place inside the Owl PF that will accommodate the Radio Shack 3/32" Submini Stereo Phone Jack (Dimensions are 3/8" X 5/16" X 5/16").  On the first Cam I have 3 wires hanging on the outside the Owl PF, and the Stereo Phone Jack glued to the case.  I have two more Owls sitting here waiting for me to figure out how to install that Phone Jack inside the Camera the way it should be.  

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Tinhorn, Richard,
Nobody wanted to part with a deceased Owl PF, so I have not yet had the opportunity to tear one apart.  If one of mine ever dies I plan to dissect it to see where the various traces run.

Richard.... I don't think there is much room for an audio type jack inside the cam, but I'll look around the next time I have one apart.

Archilochus

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Arch-

I'm thinking about drilling out the threaded Tripod Socket on the bottom of the PF, and then try to poke the small telephone wires (old thin solid type) down through the camera & out the hole in the bottom.  If I get that far, I can insert the Phone Jack, and glue it.

Ammended:

There is plenty of room under the LCD Screen for a Mini Phone Jack, but not the Radio Shack type that's inside a plastic case.  I'm off to the electronics store to find one that will fit..  Running the wires down through the battery compartment will be my last choice. Any ideas?    

(Edited by Richard Webb at 11:07 am on June 13, 2001)

BamaNative

Reaction score
I currently use a header type connector on my camera and I mount it right above the flash.  This way I can still use the camera outside of the box and it looks a lot nicer.  

I solder mine to the two pins that are shorted and there is a small soldering circle just below and to the left of the pins that can be used so that those of us with shaky hands won't short everything out.

By the way the header type connectors are only 20 or 30 cents for everything.  Just make sure to get the locking kind.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Richard, BamaNative,
Richard.... I'll have to pull apart one of my PFs - see what kind of room there is in there.

BamaNative...  I've used header type connectors on most of my cams so far.  As you said, they look a lot better than the big audio jack when using the cam outside the trail-cam.  I did have some concerns about this as header type connectors are not really designed for being connected / disconnected frequently.  They seem to be holding up OK after 3 years of field use though. Maybe getting a bit loose, but I guess I could always replace the contacts periodically.

Archilochus

Richard Webb

Reaction score
I'm back from the store, and the Radio Shack type jack is the same as what the other stores carry.  I looked at the headers, but have never used one.  Wonder how you guys attach something that flimsy to the camera case?  Do you run the 3 wires inside to case over to the header? My Cams have to be boy proof, that's why I'm trying to keep a sub-mini jack & wires inside the camera case. That way the whole family can use the camera(s).

cedar N sandy

Reaction score
Richard,
 I have wired up 3 PF's and I use the battery compartment as an exit for my wires. First thing I do is remove the wrist strap (save it for the "mid roll rewind" stub, by the way) and drill a small hole thru one of the existing strap holes. I then run my wires in and after I have successfully soldered (;) Welby & Tinhorn) the connections I fill the strap holes full of Goop sealant. I have had one PF all the way apart (which isn't that hard to do) and I believe there is room above the film door release on the left side near the top of the camera for a small plug jack. There also seemed to be room on top of the camera next to the OWL logo. This one would be at an angle but I think it will work. Check these 2 places out and see what you think but as you said the camera has to come all the way apart.  

Richard Webb

Reaction score
cedar,

Thanks, I had to give up on keeping the wires inside the camera, and wired these two cameras the same as the first with the 3 wires out through a hole near the top, then down through the strap holder.  Someday I will go back, and do it right if I ever find a 3 connector jack that will fit inside the camera.  Today was the last day of school, and the boy is raring to go.    

Top Bottom