Owl PF damage control

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Need some help on an Owl PF. I got a camera in the mail to wire for someone and it's already had the #4 ground trace burned completely off the top board. I seem to remember someone figuring out where to solder  a jumper wire to the front of the camera.

Since the #4 trace is completely gone I can't find out where the run went with my DVM. I took the front piece off and soldered a jumper from #4 to what appeared to be a ground circuit with a black wire on it but no luck.

Of course, the camera may be fried but it does appear to work except for the shutter/rewind/force flash which is because of the missing ground return leg.

Thank you.

Gumboyaya

Reaction score
You might check on a post I made a few days ago called tech tip for owl pf. If you can find the 4 lead (terminal) you can get the shutter, flash controls and manual rewind all to work.
Gumbo

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks msfelton and shrtcirkt. That's where I soldered my jumper to and it didn't work. Oh well, somebody has a spare parts camera I guess.

I'll look for your post Gumboyya, thanks.

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
Jesse,
Where the top shutter board and the front board meet is a very small solder area. It is possible that one of the other traces are ruined as well (unless you checked them already).
You can try soldering all your wires to the front board, that would bypass the top shutter board completely (not mid roll rewind). If it does not work that way then I would say the cam is probably toast.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
shrtcirkt,

Thanks, I tried jumping all the circuits with no luck. The camera took a hit I think.

Do you care if I add your pic to the Owl PF cam mod webpage so if anyone vaporzies the top board or doesn't want to try the top board soldering they can use the front contacts?

Thanks.

vman

Reaction score
Well time to recycle the flash and put it into the D-370...Hmmm is that possible?

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
Jesse,
I dont mind if you add the pic to the owl page. Thats what they are here for, to help out.
BTW, thought I woud mention, I dont even solder to the top board anymore, I always go to the front, and can do an OWL PF from start to finish in about 7 min.  

gizz

Reaction score
shrtcirkt, I'm a bit confused on the mods. For the 5 and 6 contacts are they the points about the wording with the red wires attached or below(where the little holes are)? Also, normally i would just solder a bridge across the 5 and 6 contacts and then a wire to one or the other since i use the 2 wire hookup. Can i do all of that on the front board?
Thanks

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
Gizz,
Pns 5 & 6 are right below the text in the pic, the center two of the four holes. Pin 5 is the shutter contact, pin 6 is the refresh. I only use the 3 wire set up now and here is a pic of what it looks like finished. I use 30awg wire and you can tell that this pic is enlarged quite a bit.

gizz

Reaction score
Thank shrtcirkt. I soldered my single wire across both of the 5 and 6 holes creating a bridge for the 2 wire setup and it works great. The other wire went to the pin 4 pad very easily.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom