Owl Pf Date Setup

dekalbbasketball

Reaction score
I was wondering what battery should i use to power my camera?  I am using the owl pf date camera with the mainstay sensor?  What voltage battery do i need?  I bought a 6 v lattern battery from radio shack today, but i don't if i got it right.  Help!!  Thanks!!

davered1

Reaction score
I believe you can use that if you run the 5V relay.If you are running the 9V relay that solders in place battery won't have enough juice to trip it.

Am I right guys? I have only built one with mainstay and 9V relay but 6 V won't trip mine. I am currently trying a mainstay with the 5 V relay (courtesy of tinhorn) right now.I am using the 6V lantern for power.

Did I help or confuse? :>)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Davered1 is right,

All I use is 6v "alkaline" battery's and get MONTHS out of the lantern batt and MS20 (MainStay) PIRs (oh, and Wally-World sells their lantern batt's much cheaper than RS - I think)

If room is a problem in your enclousure, 4 AA batts in series (still 6v) will outlast the 9volt batts quite a bit and 4 AA's are not much bigger than a 9v battery.  I use these in my Small Enclosures.  (RS sells the batt holders for about $1.50)

If you want to use a 12 volt battery, there is a way to get a 12 or even a 9 volt relay to work, by changing the value of a resistor in the MS20.

See Ya!

Tinhorn

Possum

Reaction score
I took Tinhorn's tip and started using the 6v battery.  Now I can leave the Mainstay sensor in the woods for a full roll of film.  Used to get about 10 days.  Now I get pretty much however long I want to leave it.  Thanks again to Tinhorn.

jayber

Reaction score
You only get 10 days of battery life Possum?!  What is your setup?  I use 6V - 4 C's, 2-stage timer, and MS20 and get 1.5-3 months depending on the climate.....not to brag, but batteries are expensive enough.  Or are you using rechargeables?

(Edited by jayber at 6:32 am on Jan. 31, 2002)

Top Bottom