Owl PF Date Wiring?

HellBitch

Reaction score
In the section that shows how to modify a Cannon Owl PF Date camera there are 2 different pictures of wiring/soldering locations (the 3 wire section for using the camera independently).Both of these pics show wire attachments in very different locations. I wired mine according to the first pic and it is not working properly. Just wanted to check before trying the second layout

Tinhorn

Reaction score
HellBitch, Welcome to the site:

Sorry to take so long to answer your question.  Be AWARE of the Flash Circuit, it'll bite you!

There are several ways to wire the PF but it boils down to 2 wires or 3 wires.  I've been using wire from an old Computer Mouse lately as somebody on here suggested and it works great.  Just skin back the insulation a little and "Tin" it with solder, don't try to use anymore solder on the joint when soldering on the wires tho.

2 wires
This is probably the easiest and most popular method.  It defeats the "Half-Press" features of the camera (see manual) but you don't need them anyway, not even when you use the camera as a normal camera.  It does defeat the possibility of using a refresh pulse (see 3 wire method below)

3 wires
This allows the half-press funtion to still work but you have to short out cam pins 5 & 6 at the Movement Camera's relay.  In my opinion, the reason you might want to use this method is because you may want to build a Flash Refresh circuit.  What happens is, if the camera sets idle for several days, the charge up time for the flash circuit takes several seconds, which means the camera won't fire (till the flash is charged up)   The animal might be gone before the cam fires.  You probably noticed already that there is a delay of at least 1-1/4 secs after pressing the shutter button before the camera fires, this is the delay I'm talking about, it gets longer (worse on some cameras) as the cam sets idle.

If this gets to be a problem, then with the 3 wire method, it's easier to add the refresh circuit.  I personally wouldn't add the 3 wires just because I wanted the half press functions to work.

if, I mean when, you have more questions, we'll try to be more quicker to answer them,  sorry for the delay

Tinhorn

Matt in MO

Reaction score
You may be seeing the "very different locations" but they are all pins 4 5 and 6. You can follow them out across the circuit board and solder anywhere along the trace, ie the silver spot at the front of the board or back at the "+" or "C" contact. To solder along lines between the two points you have to very carefully scrape off the green coating to get to the gold colored trace. It all takes a very steady hand!

Top Bottom