Owl PF. Flash no advance

BugleMIn

Reaction score
Jesse converted the camera for me, I am assuming it is fine.  I suspect the relay.  The center post spins freely, it got bent alittle during the wiring job.  Should the center terminal be free spinning?

I also read somewhere when using a OWL PF and RS 49-425 PIR you may need a timer or do something with the #2 pin on the integrated circuit to get the film advance.

I added the dpdt switch  with LED for a test light.  Should this light come when the cam is in operating mode?  Mine is off all the time unless in test mode.  I also read where if you have the test light it comes on during the picture taking process and guys use tape to cover it up.  In test mode the test light works great it has the typical 2 second reset time.  

Help please.  Thanks

Tinhorn

Reaction score
lets get the easy stuff out of the way 1st,

does the camera advance when you manually press the shutter button?

if the counter on the PF is "0" then it didnt pick up the film,  open the door and pull a little more film out of the canister and try it again....

Tinhorn

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
BugleMIn,

I use the same setup, I didn't have to do anything with pin #2 to get the film to advance. The only camera modifications  you need have already been done by Jesse. The center pin on my relay does not spin, the only way to tell for sure is to use an ohm-meter, and check it with the meter. When using the DPDT switch, the test LED should only be on when the switch is in the test mode (the purpose of this LED is for walking out in front of the camera, to determine where the P.I.R is picking up motion, so you can adjust the camera on the tree without firing off a bunch of pictures) When switched to the "camera" side of the switch, the camera is ready for action, and when the P.I.R detects heat/motion it will take a picture.(LED shouldn't be lit) Also, when testing the camera without a roll of film in it, the flash will go off, you should here it resetting, but I don't believe you will here the advance action going every time(at least I didn't on mine, or my buddies) I think the only real way to test this is to actually burn some film and see what it does. If your camera is "flashing" when the P.I.R is detecting motion,it sounds like the relay is working properly. Guys that DO NOT use the DPDT switch would have the LED on anytime motion is detected, the DPDT switch gives you the seperation between "camera" and "test light"..hope this helps you, please post the results of what you find.

BugleMIn

Reaction score
I have film in the camera.  It works fine separate from the PIR.  When plugged in all I get is a flash and cam locks up.  I'll check the connections again.

BugleMIn

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, the center terminal on each end actually fits in a little groove on the relay's plastic ends.  I believe this groove keeps it secure, but not sure if my moving it ruined it.  Not sure what's inside the magical little relay.  Will test it.  Thanks guys.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
If the camera flash is coming on, then the relay is doing it's job......

Lets make sure the camera itself is working ok, disconnect the PIR stuff from the camera and do these checks:

I'm guessing pins 5 & 6 or not shorted together properly, either bad solder joint or a wire got jerked loose.

Are there 3 wires coming from the camera or 2?

If 3 then be sure the wires coming from pins 5 & 6 (1/2 press & full press) are firmly shorted together and touch wire from pin 4, should see a normal flash/film advance.

If 2 then touch these 2 together with a piece of wire or ?, the cam should work same as pressing the shutter button, if not, it's def a shaky solder joint or loose wire.

Symptoms:
If pin 4 and pin 5 only are touched together, the cam will flash but then lock up

If pin 4 and pin 6 are shorted together for a few sec's, the flash comes on, like a flash-light, no real flash

If pin 4 not connected, nothing happens

Tinhorn

(Edited by Tinhorn at 6:08 am on Oct. 17, 2001)

Possum

Reaction score
Tinhorn, what would be the cause of the flash coming on slowly when the batteries were inserted and the round dial being turned on?  The flash never goes off.  I just stays on.  The camera in question is the OWL round dial.  Right now it is enjoying retirement.

(Edited by Possum at 9:25 am on Oct. 17, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Man Possum,

That's a weird-o

I'd make a guess it's a stream of solder or something inside the camera touching something it's not suspose to.......

But, I've never worked on one of those cameras so am only guessing  -Sorry-

Tinhorn

BugleMIn

Reaction score
Possom, mine will do that if I don't have the stereo jacks plugged in all the way.  There are like two stages of the jack being plugged in, the first stop point, flash stays on, then pushing the jack all the way in the flash shuts off.  
Then when I move my hand in front of the PIR just the flash goes, camera locks up.  No film advance.  My OWL has the slide on switch.

My solders on the stereo jacks look good.  Still thinking it is the relay, will try a new one.

BugleMIn

Reaction score
H20Bob,

Are you saying you didn't connect any wire from the relay to the 2nd pin on integrated circuit?

BugleMIn

Reaction score
Well,  I put the cam away during hunting season and just got it out.

Jesse wired my cam with stereo jacks.  The camera end had the male end and from the relay came the female end.  I took the female end off and rewired it, it works fine.  So I put another new female end on and walla, it works fine.

In Chime mode it does strange things, it will take two pictures 7 seconds apart then sit for a minute and take another.

From previous posts on here, the Alarm mode should give 30 seconds, I'll think I'll try that before advancing to a timer.

I need to get the cam out and "working" for me, scouting turkeys.

Thanks for your help guys.

arlow

Banned
Reaction score
BugleMIn,  If you don't pull the film out to the film mark inside the film will not advance.
You may have to pull it out far enough so it actually goes partway around the pickup cylinder.
             A

Top Bottom