Owl PF problem?

Creekscout

Reaction score
Took apart a new owl pf to wire it, when I put it back together to test it with the batteries in the display shows the  O count for the picture and the battery symbol is displayed but when I turn the power switch to On nothing happens. I mean that the flash bolt does not show up nor does it appear that the power actually turns on. When I try to take a picture with the shutter button or by shorting the wires nothing happens. Any advice on what I can check as the cause?

swampfox

Reaction score
check all solder connections and your jumper. ill bet there is solder where it shouldnt be

bat

Reaction score
Creekscout try this, reinsert your batteries just to see if it resets.  I just checked one of mine and the 0 will show up and the battery indicator but if you open the battery door both indicators will stay on until you switch the camera on then they go out.  It might be something as simple as the batteries are not staying connected.  Hope this helps.  bat

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Another guess is the "Lens Cover" Switch got bent when you put the cover back on. You'll have to remove the front cover again to see.  If the contacts are bent, you can fix them with needle nose.

When assembling the cover, make sure the Lens Cover is "SHUT" or it will probably bend the contacts

Tinhorn

Longrifle

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my Owl Pf.  All wired up and nothing to show for it.  The arrow flashes once when the camera is turned on, as well as the "0" and the battery indicator, so I'm pretty sure that the switch tabs are not bent up.  I'm thinking that one of the gold runs are shorting out the unit.

What have you found out on yours?  Any suggestions?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Hi LongRifle,

Welcome to the club!  You'll have to post a pix of your Charcoal Burner sometime

Tinhorn

Creekscout

Reaction score
I have checked with a magnifying lens and cannot find any solder not where it should be. I have also looked at what I believe are the power switch legs and they do not appear bent. I am thinking of soldering a jumper across the two legs[power switch] and giving that a try.Any reason I should not try this?

davered1

Reaction score
Did you make sure that your shutter switch was closed when you put camera together? If you had shuutter door open it will not catch the switch to turn camera on/off when you replace cover.

Something to try

Longrifle

Reaction score
While holding the batteries in place with the cover and making sure that there was proper contact, I touched the two posts of the power switches together and for a brief second, the black arrow flashed, so I am thinking that the problem is not with the switch.  It could be with the battery conections, though, even with the camera put together.  

I am thinking of removing my soldering connections and re-doing the wiring, just to make sure, however, I hate to risk sending the owl prematurely to camera heaven.

Let me know if you come up with anything before I warm up the iron.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Boy davered1, I wish I would have said that      he he

Tinhorn

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Something else for ya'll to think about too.

You might remember this from earlier posts.

If you touch the shutter to the common before the focus the camera will lock up.  The only way to fix this is take the batteries out and cycle the on off switch so the LCD display goes out then put the batteries back in and turn the camera on.  You should see the lighting bolt start flashing to charge the flash when it resets properly.

Just something to think about while wiring into the cameras

davered1

Reaction score
TINHORN,

<font size="5">whoops</font>  :smiley-thumbs-up:

Longrifle

Reaction score
Creekscout,

After melting away layers of hot glue and dissecting my owl, I have found my problem.  Even though my unit worked immediately after being wired up, and even though the wires were secured under glue and looked to be in place under a magnifying glass, my connection to the auto focus lead was still broken, and as Brian says, the camera locked up when the common made contact with the shutter.

After replacing my solid core wires with more flexible speaker wire and re-soldering the unit, (and also after an UGLY repair of a gold run,) my camera has been resurrected and is up and running.

Hope this helps the cause!

Top Bottom