owl pf problem

wvhunter

Reaction score
Today I went to check my cam and it was showing 23 on the counter so I thought I would rewind the film change film and leave the cam.  But when I pushed the manual rewind it rewound 2 counts on the LED and bound up.  (I have used the manual rewind before and it has worked.)

I took the cam into a closet and was able to take the film out and rewind it by hand (it is being developed now).  It started winding hard but soon freed up and wound pretty easy.  I will post a follow up in a little while if the pictures were destroyed or not.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them.  The batteries were only about 3 weeks old.

gizz

Reaction score
Could just be a bad roll of film wvhunter. I've had no problems with owl pf's so far. I'd try another roll before worrying about it too much.

wvhunter

Reaction score
I just got back from the 1 hour photo and got 18 picts back.  Several of them had what looked like blue scratches on them.  But that may have happened when I wound the film up by hand.  It looks like the film may have bound coming out of the canaster cause even though the counter said 23 the last several negatives were so over exposed like they had been exposed several times before advancing.  I may pickup a cheap roll of film and cycle it thru at home before taking it back to the woods.

gizz

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea wvhunter. I remember a couple time having a hard time loading the film in the camera. If you don't get the roll on the spindle correctly the mouth of the film canistor would point a little downward. This could cause the film to "jam" or "stick" coming out of the roll. Hopefully it didn't strip any gears in the camera. I think I'd try a cheapo roll. Good Luck.

tdixon

Reaction score
If the film was exposed to high heat ,like in a car, it could stick.

Matt in MO

Reaction score
Yes, I've had that happen. Turned out one of the wires soldered into the PF circuit board had pulled loose, pulling the trace with it (leaving an open circuit). I layed off the coffee for a few hours so my hand was steady enough to re-solder!

wvhunter

Reaction score
I put a roll of cheap film in the cam and let the kids run around in front of it last night and the film advanced just fine and at the end of the roll it rewound with no problems.

We had about a week of 90+ temps and very high humidity which may have had something to do with it.

wvhunter

Reaction score
The cam is back in the field now.  In about a week (if I can wait that long to check it ) I will post if it was the camera or just a bad roll of film.

(Edited by wvhunter at 8:44 am on July 20, 2001)

wvhunter

Reaction score
Update: I got a roll of film back and all is working well.  It must have just been a bad roll of film.

arlow

Banned
Reaction score
    I am in the process of building my first unit.  I used the two wire setup.  I tried attaching the wires to 6 and 4 and then I tried attaching to the shutter contact and pin 4 using a bridge between 5 and 6 with the same result.  
    The problem is that the shutter and flash operate when triggered but the camera will not advance the film.  
    Has any one had a similar problem, and if so were you able to find out what caused it and how to remedy it.  

INshedpicker

Reaction score
I'm going to assume you are just testing the camera initially.  If there is no film in it, it won't try to advance.  I don't know if that's the case or not.  If there is film in the camera, I doubt I can be of any help.  Did you test it before modification?  Good luck.

arlow

Banned
Reaction score
    I tried the camera with film and without.  I tried it by crossing the wires and wired into the pir.  All with the same result.  The camera worked fine before the mods. I am so close that it almowt hurts!!!:banghead:

(Edited by arlow at 1:52 pm on Mar. 21, 2002)

arlow

Banned
Reaction score
    Well don't I feel stupid.  I didn't know that you need to pull the film out and inch further for it to load properly.  Now it is off to finish this adventure! :hammer:

MBullism

Reaction score
Arlow,  No foolin', I was just looking for this thread to drag it back up top.  Glad to hear you got it working, sorry you had to do it on your own.

Good luck with the rest of this "adventure".  Looking forward to seeing some pictures.  There's nothing like the anticipation of waiting for film to be developed.

No need to feel stupid, Everyone has a brain:fart: once in awhile!

M

arlow

Banned
Reaction score
Mbullism,  thanks for the support.  I hope to get it out in the woods this weekend.

Advertisement

Top Bottom