OWL PF to BF ?

gtk

Reaction score
I messed my Owl PF circuit board up.  Now I have obtained a Owl BF for $25.00.   I can replace the film cover back door of the BF with the door of the PF, and that should give me the "date" option on the BF.

Now, according to jesses info on the BF, the F-stop is longer and the flash is not as strong.  

First question:  What is the "F-Stop " and is it important ?
Next question:  What controls the power flash, and could I merge the PF's flash thingamahicky to the "BF" camera ?  And, I am not camera "savy".

Thanks...

Greg

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi gtk,
Just cracked open one of my Owl PFs.  The date back has two small contacts that touch two others on the camera body when the film door is closed.   If the Owl BF lacks the contacts on the camera body, the date back won't work.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I'm no photo pro, so all I can say is that the "f" stop difference means that to get a properly exposed pic the BF will need a slower shutter speed than the PF - blurry pics if the subject is moving.
Flash will also be used more often - more batts.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Almost all the components mounted on the circuit board near the flash are part of the "power-flash".  I guess it could be switched, but it would probably be a big pain.  You could try the idea suggested by Jaggermax - use an external flash sync'ed to the cameras flash.  He said that he got an additional 20 feet of flash range with an external flash.

Archilochus

gtk

Reaction score
Well... I guess I had better just be glad I have only 1 casualty out of 6 cameras.  

The owl BF has the same circuit board, just less wires solder'd to it.  If'n you could solder reeallyy small stuff, you might could make it work, but I'm not trying.  

As far as the Date Door.  The BF has the holes for the two small contacts, but I can't determine where the wires that go to the contacts come from... So, scratch that idea also.

Now, the board around the flash is exactly the same.  But the PF has an extra orange wire running directly from the batter to the little transformer.  I guess it just "juices" up the transformer a little more than the BF...

Thanks.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom