OWL PF Weak Flash

MSturkeygetter

Reaction score
I have just wired my pf camera. The flash worked right a few times then it got dim. Any help on this would be great. Thanks

FLBowhunter

Reaction score
Welcome to the fourm...This is the place to get the answers...unfortunaly I don't have this one.  I do know that most of the camera and PIR problems that I have had were all just weak batteries.  Good luck, I am sure you will get it working.
 -Scott-

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome MSturkeygetter,

Check your connections at the camera and connector. If one of the connections gets loose (can't remember which one), the camera flash barely comes on and it won't take a pic. Make sure they are no shorts (solder bridges) on the contacts also.

Someone smack me if I'm wrong.

woodsman

Reaction score
Welcome to JHP MSturkeygetter .
Try new batteries If that's not it You mite have some solder debris in your cam .
I hope this helps. :toothless:

bat

Reaction score
welcome MSturkeygetter, I had some problems kind of like you are getting with my first one.  Give some more detail of how you have it wired.  Are you using Stereo Plugs for the connectors to the Camera?  Have you changed the batteries for the Camera to see if it works with new ones?  Can you short across the wires after the connectors and it will work ok?  If yes try shorting on the other side of the connectors to see if it will flash correctly.  Sounds like a bad connector or a wire that is coming loose.  I had a really hard time with one soldering point that kept giving me a fit on my first one.  Worked when testing then would quit during the night when in the field.  Hang in there and be patience and you will find it....bat

MSturkeygetter

Reaction score
I have #5&6 jump together. #4 & #5 wires coming out of the camera. When you open the battery door then close it and connect the wires together the flash is brighter than it is after that. Everything seems to be working right but still have the weak flash. Have worked on it 5 or 6 hours today. The connections on the wires are good. I have done all I know to do. Thanks for all the help.

bat

Reaction score
MSturkeygetter,
 What happens if you just try to press the shutter button, does it act the same way, or does the flash flash bright each time you press it?

MSturkeygetter

Reaction score
It is no change in it wheather you push the button or touch the wires. I have not put plugs on the wires yet.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Are you using a timer?  

maybe the shutter is not being held in long enough to fully charge the flash before a pix is snapped.  Without a refresh Pulse (like you have), I like to see a full 10 seconds of shutter hold in time to insure a full flash.  I was getting Blooper Flashes on some of my cams when the shutter time was only 5-7 seconds or less!

Tinhorn

bat

Reaction score
Ok, this might sound stupid but try it anyway.  Open the battery door, close it and short the wires, if it flashs bright open the battery door again, close it and short the wires again to see if it flashs bright again....do this several times just to see if it keeps recharging the flash that way.  Sounds like the flash is not charging up correctly for some reason, change the batteries out for some "known" good ones that you might have....btw you didn't mention and I haven't asked what kind of batteries you are using in the camera?  

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi MStg,
I'm assuming (yeah... I know... :)  that you're using an Owl- right?  If so, are you certain this "weak flash" is the *flash* and not the red-eye reduction light coming on??  They are both in the same window - but the red-eye light is just a little bulb next to the main flash tube.  If it's the red-eye light, you almost certainly have a bad connection or a bit of stray solder somwhere.  If the actual flash is weak - well ... I dunno - sounds bad.. :-(

Archilochus

Latest Posts

Top Bottom