Owl PF wiring needed

shufigo

Reaction score
OK guys, I'm into the shallow end of the pool -- but not ready to tear the face off a $50 camera with my sausage sized fingers.  I'm doing all the other stuff (hey, what can I break?), but need to "contract out" the camera wiring.  Which of you old heads have the time to do it, and for what cost?

jayber

Reaction score
I can do it for ya if you want to ship it to WI and pay for shipping back.  But it's really not that hard.  E-mail me.

jayber

Reaction score
Don't need assistance anymore?  I may be out starting today or tomorrow for a few days......wife's due anytime.  Good luck!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Congrats "Dad" on your new addition, hope Mom and baby are (will be) doing fine!

Tinhorn

jayber

Reaction score
Thanks.....I keep waiting for her to call me when things get rollin' so that we can see the little bugger!!  Until last nite, she hasn't had any real contractions.  They'll induce on monday if it doesn't happen on its own before then.

jrichv

Reaction score
Wow... what a wealth of information on this website! Ok, don't know if this thread is still valid or not, but here goes.

I have been bitten by the Homebrew bug!

I received a Stealth game camera as a gift, and it works well. Got some great pics to prove it. The only problem with it, is that it is just ONE camera, and now I need more. I have been reading and following the Homebrew links here, and now I am wanting to tackle my own camera (or two!). I found (and purchased) 3 Owl PF cameras off of ebay a little while back, and won the whole bid for less than $30 per camera.

Now comes the difficult part - this web site is quite extensive, and in the past I have found very detailed instructions on the wiring of the Owl cameras, complete with step-by-step pics on the process, but now I can't seem to locate them again... help?!?!?

Please feel free to point me in the right direction, and I promise to try to get through this with as little whining and assistance as possible. Any and all pictures, diagrams and cookbook step-by-step recipes will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

coyotebandit

Reaction score
Welcome to JHP!

Look at the Helpful Homebrew links Pinned at the top of the page. Everything you need should be there.

If you like your stealth cam, your going to love your hombrew! I had a stealthcam, and had to return it because it such a piece of crap! Hope you have better luck with yours.

Witty

Reaction score
Not to toot my own horn (again), but check out my links page. I've tried to consolidate (and I'm still adding everyday) a bunch of helpful links into one reference spot for myself. You may find it helpful as well.

-Witty

scruffnbeez

Banned
Reaction score
I find Witty's "Helpful Page" very helpful.
I added it to my favorites. I hope he doesn't move it or I will be lost.

jrichv

Reaction score
Ok, I have my cameras (3 Owl PF's) and am looking to gather the necessary parts to get this project started. I really have checked the pinned links (which are most helpful) but still have some questions - naturally. I think I want to use the RS 49-425 PIR, and it appears to be the PIR of choice in a lot of links/tips. But, after searching all of www.radioshack.com, I can find part numbers 49-424 and 49-426, but no 49-425...??? I seem to remember in somebody's link that the 49-426 can be used as well - is this correct?

If the 49-426 works, there must be a wiring diagram/cookbook set of directions somewhere... I will find them again.

After I procure three PIR's, then I need a couple of switches and a 5v reed relay per camera, some wire, solder, batteries, packing foam and cases to mount it all in - does that sound about right?

Next issue - I see a lot of posts regarding "timers"... Given the above camera/sensor parts list I am about to tackle, what kind of performance can I expect as far as number of pictures taken per "trigger event"? How far apart (in minutes) will the trigger be "tripped"? One picture every minute (given that something is in the field of sensitivity)? Can this be adjusted, or do I need to include a timer of some sort in my initial setup?

The timers are of some concern, as I am now using a Stealth Camera which affords me the ability to vary not only the number of exposures per given triggered event, but also a wait time (in minutes) of how long to sit idle before sensing the next trigger event. Am I going to be disappointed with the camera and PIR setup I am trying to manufacture above?

Keep the replies coming - everyone has been very helpful so far!

Thanks in advance,
Richard

jrichv

Reaction score
Forgot one thing - I want to add the red LED walk-test lamp to each camera as well...

Richard

ABE

Reaction score
I HAVE 3 WITH THE 425 SENSOR. THEY WILL TAKE A PIC EVERY 5 SEC OR SO AS LONG AS THERE IS MOVEMENT. I WOULD GO WITH THE MS20 OR X10. THE MS20 AND LOW POWER MODS WILL RUN YOU ABOUT 11 OR 12 BUCKS. ****** HAS MOST OF THE STUFF YOU WILL NEED AT GOOD PRICES. HE ALSO HAS ALL THE X-10 STUFF WHICH SOUNDS LIKE ITS GOING TO BE THE SENSOR OF CHOICE IN THE FUTURE.

W

wildebeast

The rs426 works good on a trail--if you use a feeder it might take pics to fast.

here's the diagram for wiring a 426---I just wired up five pf's last nite--I use just 2 wire setup and use telephone wire--you should be able to wire the cam.
GOOD LUCK--

cliff

jrichv

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the helpful comments and tips - I now am even more dangerous - I have a PLAN!!!

And since I have found much enjoyment by viewing all of the posted pictures on other people's pages, I finally got off my duff and created my own page at webshots. The pictures are (mostly) from my Stealth Camera, with a couple other thrown in from my own digital. Enjoy them and feel free to provide comments and feedback. http://community.webshots.com/user/jrichv

As soon as I gather parts, I will get the other three homebrew cams up and running, then beware the flood of pictures...

Thanks,
Richard

Top Bottom