owned or leased?

Megadeth

Reaction score
I hunt Howard exclusivley for ducks,geese, pheasant and so on. Its been fantastic, BUT IVE GOT A BEEF.Problem is, The rice farmers take all the available food/cover for the birds and hunters. In the last few years the hunting has gone downhill, and I mean way downhill. I've been told the farmers pay the DFG for harvesting the rice, but its an all or nothing deal. Not just a few areas get cut anymore, they all do. Its outright ridiculous!!!! The pheasant hunting at Howard would be some of the finest hunting in the state, but some rice farmer comes in and makes his harvest and there go the birds. I'm a true believer in natural cover, or  letting rice fields go idle and flooding them up. The birds absolutley love uncut stands of rice. In the uncut portions, the birds come in. In the cut areas you get NOTHING. The true potential of Howard and LLano Seco are absolutley huge, but the rice farmers have stood in the way for the past 12 years. Im sorry for getting so worked up, but every Wed. finds me and about 100 other guys searching for the only natural cover around. If the DFG owns it, turn it into a wildlife/hunter friendly area. I could go blue in the face over this subject, but it wont do any good. Just like any other agency, the Ca DFG will take our money and provide us with only the bottom of the barrel. The thread on wildlife area mis-management is what started my fire. I've asked around for the past ten years and all I hear is that the DFG needs the funds from the rice farmers. Dont you think the extra revenue from the reservation SCAM should be able to fund our areas. I used to sp0end fifty bucks a month on resis and actually get quite aq few back, not anymore! Its an absolute crock of $&^%$#. I've spent well over $200 in the past 2 years on reservations alone, and dont even have a clue what one looks like with my name on it. Another thing. NO MORE REFILLS FOR LDC. Ive personally witnessed, just like several of you guys have, LDC go straight down the aisle with Gray Lodge. Bring it back to a quality hunt, not quantity=$$$$$. Little Dry Creek has an average just a little better than Sac anymore. Let 50 guys hunt LDC all shoot days and no refills. The LDC experience is gone, lets see if our wonderful DFG decides to bring it back, or raise the quota. IM DONE

Swampy

Reaction score
  I forwarded you concerns to someone who may know about what is going on with the rice on Howard Slough. I will respond when I get more information. LDC is another story. I also hate what it has become. It was once the jewel of the refuge system. "Hunter Opportunity" was the explanation I got. People that didn't get drawn or who hadn't tried were upset they couldn't hunt there.  So they opened it up so they could and brought it down to just a average refuge. I would like it to go back to no refill also.  

twoducks

Reaction score
I also have sent letters and made phone calls to DFG and to no avail.  Its an absolute shame what LDC has become.  I have been told that Pete Blake (refuge manager) did  not want to have refills but was forced too by higher ups.  I would rather see the number of hunters increased that they let in and then have no refills.  It would greatly increase the quality aspect of the area.  By refilling, the pheasant population in my opinion has also dropped.   Why can't we have one quality area.  If you got drawn or had a low lottery number you would almost be sure of having a real quality shoot.  Hunter Oppurtunity?  Why can't we have 1 Quality Oppurtunity?

Megadeth

Reaction score
Its a money issue. Greed is running the Ca DFG. Time to start finger pointing, or they'll never listen. It just goes to show that we dont have a voice with the DFG. The respect issue has been thrown out the window for years in Ca. We, as the few hujnters in Ca. get poked in the eye, AGAIN. The resi issue is something that needs to be brought under control! The rice farmers have more say about the habitat than us. Stop buying resis, like me, and sooner or later they have to answer!On a grade scale, The Ca DFG receives a D. For what its worth.

Megadeth

Reaction score
Yes Buckhunter, I believe the junior blinds open up on Dec. 15. Im not absolutley positive, but I'll find out for sure on Wed. for Ya'.

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
LDC,
Pete lobbied against refilling.  DFG needed to create more hunter opportunity so refills started.  If DFG really wants to create hunter opportunity they need to open new areas, improve existing areas (Yolo a prime example).  Refilling LDC and putting in blinds has downgraded the duck hunting.  While the refilling has completely torched LDC's once great pheasant hunting.  Consent pressure over the last few season's has the pheasant population at LDC now on par with everyplace else.  Bring everything back to the lowest common denominator - great public policy (same problem CA schools are having).

twoducks

Reaction score
Mike, since you seem to have better connections then most of us on the board is there anyway of reversing the LDC backfill policy, whether thru Gray Lodge or petition or the Fish and Game Comission, I would really like to see one quality place that if you drew it or got on thru the lottery you could wait things out and have a great afternoon hunt if things were busy in the morning.  I used this type of plan many times in the past at LDC until it was  turned into Gray Lodge #2.  There must be someone out there to pass on the info towards.  I have wrote several letters and never got a reply from anyone.  Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom