Ownes Valley

East Coast

Reaction score
I'm skiing in Mammoth this weekend but am thinking of cutting out early on Sunday and getting in some Quail hunting on the drive home.  Any suggested spots in the Owens Valley are much appreicated.  From the looks of it (and from watching "Hunting with Hank") this is prime Quail country.

EC

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
I don't know about prime I was there for the opener and didn't see many birds. I went to a spot between Big Pine and Bishop. Its right-off 395. If your going south bound from Bishop its on your left hand side after you pass the big Reservoir.

Bill W

Reaction score
I know an area about 15 miles south of Big Pine and immediately south of Tinnemaha Lake on 395.  Take the right turn off immediately south of lake, follow it along the river.  Good cover along the area to your left there and I've killed a few quail there, though I haven't been up there this year.

Bill

WingSetter

Reaction score
Spent 2 days up there as the duck hunting was few and far between.  Only saw 10 birds that flew across the Highway.  Looked and checked almost every road from Independence to Mammoth.  Lots of water, and good cover did not see many birds.  You can take just about any road off 395 towards the river and you will find plenty of cover, and water.  Almost all dirt roads are easy to drive along.  Good Luck as we drove a lot of miles for nothing.  I'm sure there are some up there we just did not see any in November.  Did see a few tracks around the mud by the roads, and river.  There is a little Sporting Goods store in Bishop. (i forget the name) that you can't miss as you drive into town.  the lady there knows a lot of spots to hunt as she can give you a few places to start.  She was very friendly, and helpful.  

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Last night on California Gold, Huel Howser was up at Owens Lake bed and his show was about  the mitigation LADWP has to do for the dust storms. On thing they have done is built I think hundreds of miles of pipeline out to the lake and have standpipes spreading water on the lake. Another mitigation measue was they planted 40 acres of salt grass and are planning more.

I wonder what this is going to do for wildlife populations in the valley, especially, migratory fowl and upland birds?

Top Bottom