Owyhee River

coff20

Reaction score
Hey all,

This past weekend a buddy from my biology class and I made a trip to the Owyhee river, which is a renowned brown trout fishery in eastern Oregon.
It's about three hours from where we go to school, however it was worth the drive. We camped by the river Friday and Saturday night. The weather was less than ideal this weekend, but we did our best and still managed to catch some nice fish on dry flies. On Saturday the weather was windy and it hailed. In the afternoon though, there was a mayfly hatch and we managed to hit about a two hour window of good fishing. Sunday was really windy and I just couldn't seem to hook a fish, but my friend caught a few. I suppose that's just the way it goes sometimes, though. Some days you catch fish and some days you watch your friend catch fish, but they're all good days and I'm sure I'll remember this trip for a long, long time.

Cheers,
Coff20

View attachment 81457View attachment 81458View attachment 81459View attachment 81460View attachment 81461View attachment 81462View attachment 81463

solus

Reaction score
beautiful trout man congrats to you and your buddy!

OnShore

Reaction score
woooooooooooweeeeeeeeee! Nice Browns and looks like some hybrids, are those average for the area? Great job!

coff20

Reaction score
Thanks OnShore, and believe it or not those fish are average for the river. When I was researching the Owyhee River I read somewhere that the browns averaged around 20 inches and I didn't believe it. However, we hit a mayfly hatch and it was absolutely incredible. I wish I had taken a video of it, there were just so many huge trout jumping and rising all over the river. It was already incredibly exciting just watching them come up from the depths and sip a bug off the surface, and then to see them come up and strike a fly tied to the end of my line... just breath taking. My buddy and I were freaking out seeing so many huge fish, but we saw other guys pulling in 20 inch fish after 20 inch fish and they were just all calm and were making comments like, "Oh, that's a pretty good one" or "This is a decent fish". So long story short: I now fully believe that the browns in that river average around 20 inches.

Last edited:

Top Bottom