P41/XLP/1020 DOA

Lonedrake

Reaction score
Went to check my camera on a new spot I thought looked good for bears. Unfortunately, I was right. It was too good I guess. In 4 years of putting up trail cameras for bear pictures, I finally paid the price. I got close to the spot and couldn't see my camera on the tree. My stomack sank as I thought someone had found it and stole it. Turns out, the bear somehow flipped the 1020 case on the Python cable and opened the case. Chewed up the bladder pretty good and ripped out my P41 and chewed on it for a bit. He did all of this, but after he somehow turned the camera off so there is no pictures of the culprit. The board still powers on and looks like it might be fine, the case is fine other that the bladder and some scratch marks on it, but the camera is in trouble. The LCD is cracked and there are teeth marks in the camera throughout the body. I powered it on and it seemed to take pictures. When I checked them, they seemed blurry, but I think the settings may have been on manual with 400ISO and a focus of 3m. Just wondering if the reset button will put everything back to auto mode for me. I can't use the LCD to scroll though menus so I have to guess what I'm doing. If I get it back to auto, I might still be able to use it. Does anyone know about the reset button? What does it reset? Will my date/time also reset?

Not sure how hard it is to switch out an LCD screen, but if someone has one they're willing to part with for a reasonable price, I might be interested if I confirm there is nothing else wrong with my camera.

I'll post pictures later when I get a chance.

Thanks

Lonedrake

Reaction score
Here's a few pics of the damage. Could've been alot worse though. With a little work, I might be able to salvage most of it. You can see his tooth just missed the camera lens, but I'm not sure if it still did some damage to the components for focusing.

Attachments

Jari

Reaction score
That sucks man...
I had bears eat my old Stealth cams abunch of times,not a big loss,but been worried about my S40 ever since spring and the bears came back...
They're great to get pics of,but they can be real A-holes sometime...Good luck with it..

GPo

Reaction score
Tough break LD.
I've been lucky too with my good cams.

GPo

Top Bottom