PA turkey hunters

JWDESQ

Reaction score
I'm thinking of heading to Tioga County this Saturday for some turkey hunting.  I typically hunt close to home but feel the urge to get away.  Monday some knucklehead shot a gobbler out of a tree that I was set up on.  Very sporting.  I suppose I'm wondering whether the toms are gobbling up-state?

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry i cant answer your question but would like to Welcome you to Jesses hunting page JWDESQ!

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Hey JWDESQ,

Welcome to the board, I live in Harrisburg, not real far from you.  I just got back Tuesday, I was up in Elk County. I shot the third longbeard I had within range. They were gobbling real good, although they are gobbling real good here around Harrisburg also. We have a turkey pool at work, and we got a 10" bird from Newport, a 101/2" from Newport, and my 10 1/4 from Elk county. There are way to many hunters around this area, but with my job, I usually get to hunt them during the week before work. I wouldn't hesitate going to Tioga county, I think the birds are a little bit behind up North, last weekend we were seeing 3-5 gobblers still banded up in groups. It snowed up there all day Monday, so they were kind of quiet with the cold weather. Good luck to you.

gizz

Reaction score
I've been hunting Northern Lycoming(Borders southern Tioga) this week and things seemed a bit quiet althought the weather has not been the best. I would say make the trip as things should be getting better with each passing day. Advice - Unless you have some private land to hunt on be prepared for company, especially on Saturdays. Let us know how you do if you go.

(Edited by gizz at 1:13 pm on May 3, 2002)

JWDESQ

Reaction score
I hunt Public land in Tioga County.  I normally hunt from a camp in the Marshlands area.  In Lebanon County I hunt on private land.  I was out this morning and heard two birds gobbling at first light.  It seems that once they fly down, they don't make a peep.  

gizz

Reaction score
Probably got hens with em. Seems locally around my house the turkeys are "henned" up and only gobble on roost until they fly down and get with the hens. Once some of the hens go to nest activity should pick up a bit.

JWDESQ

Reaction score
Hunted Tioga County Saturday morning.  At first light, I heard two gobbling from their roosts.  Once they come down they don't make a peep.  I saw numerous deer, a bear, bobcat and even two turkeys that I jumped walking back to camp.  Things could have been worse.

gizz

Reaction score
Glad you had a good time. Seems like maybe the gobblers you heard had hens with them but the bobcat sighting had to be neat.
I'm curious, did you see many hunters OR did you hear many hunters with the owl hooter's? Saturday sounded like a Barred Owl reunion where i was!

JWDESQ

Reaction score
I didn't run into any hunters.  There were some cars parked here and there but none where I hunted.  I covered a lot of ground too.  You don't know what hunting pressure is until you've hunted in Lebanon County.

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
You must be talking about the Goldmine/Stoney/Clarks area, that's where I usually hunt, but like you said, it's a real circus in the public hunting area's here in central PA. Up in Elk county, I saw three guys on the first day, and all three were walking through the woods at 7:30 (together). In the four days I hunted up there with my dad, he and I had the place to ourselves!

gizz

Reaction score
I'm not quite that far North so maybe it's not as crowded up there but in the Pine Creek area on a SATURDAY the woods are literally not safe. I belong to a hunting club now so I don't have to contend with it but sometimes i like to go with my brother's just for a change of pace. It's fun cause there's lots of birds but you have to be quick to setup and call or you'll surely get company.

I've never been hunting down around Harrisburg/Lebanon but by the sounds of it I don't want to try it? Is it that bad on weekdays?

Now if you can hunt on the weekday's, like htobob apparantly did, you're gonna have a lot more room. I've been at it for the last 5 weekdays straight and I've run into one other person as we were both leaving the woods. I've called in several young jakes but no long beards yet.

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Hey Gizz..Weekdays are not that bad down here. I am lucky, with my job I can hunt in the mornings before work. Saturday's are absolutely crazy down here. Last Saturday, my buddy drove a 15mile stretch that runs through what's called Clark's valley, and counted 73 vehicles. Some of them were trout fisherman, but the majority were turkey hunting. Like you said, It's not really safe to be in the woods in those conditions. There are load's of turkey and deer down here, but with the pressure they get, they sure do receive an education in a hurry! I have two acre's in mosquito valley outside Williamsport, and as soon as our tech in that area retires, I think we are going to move the family back up there! I know the hunting pressure is heavy in Lycoming, but the whole hunting experience in general is just different up north in the "big woods".

Welby

Reaction score
Haven't I read that PA has the highest rate of hunting related accidents during turkey season than any other state?  You guys better be careful out there.

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
2001 season there were 20 turkey related hunting accidents.  This includes the fall and spring season.  There were no fatalities.  

Todd

JWDESQ

Reaction score
Many of the turkey related accidents occur in the fall.  I am opposed to the use of rifles during the fall season.  The fun part about turkey hunting is getting close.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom