packs

smketer

Reaction score
I am new to upland hunting and I was wondering what kind of field pack I should get to carry shells and birds in.
And what should I look for in a good upland pack or vest.

Thanks,

Whoadog

Reaction score
 I have had a Quilomene for six years now adn love it.  They are pricey but well worth it.  It carries 70 oz. of water in a bladder, has fittd shell loops so they never expand.  You can carry all of your gear and not feel it because the weight rests on your hips.  I have carried up to five pheasants in it with no problem.

Brian

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
This is the one I have

Cabela's Vest

I like it because unlike the typical vest, it doesn't dig into you neck when you are carrying a couple boxes of shells.  It has plenty of storage in the back and in the front pockets.  I can usually carry binos, FRS radios, two boxes of shells, and water in the front pockets.

QALHNTR

Reaction score
If it's a vest you choose, my advise is to get one in blaze orange.  The quail I kill don't seem too bothered by it.  HOWEVER, it has definitly saved my hide a few times.  I've had several hunting buddies comment how I might have a few holes in me without it.  Why not?

Mojave

Reaction score
I'm kind of a do-it-yourselfer, and I wasn't satisfied with the design of the vests I could buy and bring home, without the wife complaining about a "burning pile of $100 bills". I  designed and made my own vest, starting with a PASGT vest cover (Desert Storm surplus flak-vest cover in tri-desert camo). Added pockets for birds, shells, Motorola Walkabout F.B. 2-way radio, cell phone, and "stuff", right where they are confortable. Cost: about $5, and a bit of cajoling, to get my daughter to sew the pockets (cut out of another cover). I am not comfortable running with a pack, even a small one. I do wear Safety Orange, on my hat, if I am hunting with more than 1 other hunter. I have been whacked, and/or rained on by pellets in the past, when I did not follow this practice.

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
QALHNTR,

I must agree w/you 100% on the blaze orange. I owe my life to blaze orange .

I have a friend (beginner hunter), Marty, who has a problem distinguishing the diff. between cammo and Quail. After using the orange vest , hat and eight foot flag, I once again feel somewhat safe in the field.
sp

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Good ol' Marty.  How long has he been a begineer?  3,4 or 5 years?  Hope you were wearing orange at Cibola!  REAL nice pics of the kids at San Jacinto!

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
QALHNTR,

LOL* Actually, Marty is comming along  just fine.  My past experiences with him have been anything but safe. I grew up with Marty, known him forever, but  when he shot me back in 1979, I stopped hunting w/ him (until recently).

Cibola was a great trip. I bagged 2 Honkers Friday and Marty bagged 2 on Sat.
Thinking about Quail Hunting tomorrow afternoon near Cajon Pass. e-mail me if your'e in.
sp

Swiss Lad

Reaction score
I have vests because I don't like the weight of the belts on my hips.  The brown Tin Cloth vest is for ducks and doves.  The blaze orange Quilomene with blaze hat and blaze shirt are for everything else (I'm allergic to lead injections).

OC hunter

Reaction score
I also have a Quiomene All Day vest.  It comes with a Camelback built in.  I love it.  It is built out of the best material and will last a lifetime.  It is very similar to the Cabella's vest posted earlier.  I got the Sage & Tan colored one, but I have a Blaze hat for hunting with or around newbies.

rlwright

Reaction score
They make game straps small enough for quail. They're a little hard to find and a little expensive, but if you hunt hard and go on long hikes the birds stay in much better condition and cooler. I get way to hot in the soCal sun for vests.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom