Painting the edge of plywood

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Have you ever tried to paint the edge of a piece of plywood?

I've never been able to get a coat to stay on top of the wood. I know it's good to have paint soak in, but after 5 or 6 coats, I'd like for one layer to top out on the board so rain doesn't get into the laminates.

Is there a secret to painting the edge of a piece of plywood?

bobcatman04

Reaction score
Can you seal it with a paintable cualking first. What's it beening used for?

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Trailer sides. The trailer is angle iron frame and is 4 X 8. Sides are 2 feet high and edges face straight up, as does the removable tailgate.

Whoever painted this trailer (before I was born) did a DANG FINE job as the first panels of plywood lasted until I was 30 or so. I replaced them then, but didn't paint them at all. I always intended to, but kept finding pressing things to do. Now it's time to do it all again, and I'm going to do it right. I'm going to clean the metal and prime/paint it the way it should be done. then I'm going to paint the plywood before I put it on, and again after it's installed. I'm hoping it'll last another 25-30 years if I do it right.

Can I seal it with sanding sealer, and then expect paint to stick to that?

swampy tim

Reaction score
Try banding the edges of the plywood with pieces of ripped hard wood, miter the corners. Use an an all wether epoxy or exterior construction adheasive to join them and seal it with "spar varnish" (minwax). It's not really a varnish but a marine urtithaine. It you wanted to paint over that be sure to lightly sand the finish and use a good quality exterior oil base paint. S/T

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
Kick down the big bucks for marine grade ply (no voids in the laminations).

Or skim the edges with some bondo, let harden, sand smooth with some 100 grit on a solid block, prime, then paint.

I love bondo.

SCREWLOOSE

Banned
Reaction score
would it be possible to trim the edges in aluminum? Or maybe flashing? Seems to me that would give you more protection and should last years and not cost too much...

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Will paint adhere to sanding sealer, or do I need something in between?

swampy tim

Reaction score
Oil base used to. Everything has been reformulated for the enviro weenys, so there's no telling anymore. S/T

Mntngoat

Reaction score
you can also thin down yellow glue with water and brush. personally I'd band it with 1/8"-1/4" material attach it with contact adhesive and trim it off with a laminate trimming bit. That would look the cleanest.

ML

Mntngoat

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swampy tim @ May 24 2008, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Oil base used to. Everything has been reformulated for the enviro weenys, so there's no telling anymore. S/T[/b]
thats true but I did just pick up some nitro cellulose lacquer! all oil based. The good stuff. Probably go teets up 5 years earlier because of it.

ML

el_vaquero

Reaction score
With MDF they say to use joint compound for drywall on the edges, sand, prime and paint. But for the purpose you have in mind, I think Rancho's idea of using bondo sounds perfect (as much as I hate to say it....ha).

Top Bottom