Palomar mountain/Lake Henshaw

uhunter

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else is hunting up in the area from here? I have seen alot of hunters parked along the road, just wondering if anyone has had any luck up there i have not hard alot of shooting. Went up tuesday not too many hunbters up there i think i saw 2 other trucks parked up there. Just wanting to know how people are doing out there. I know the turkeys are there or where there.   auqkP45

bowhunting fool

Reaction score
I hunted the whole area on saturday and then returned monday and tuesday, did not see a single tom but did manage to get a hen to come in but she was alone, so I waited awhile in hopes a big boy would show up but never did. I hunted Love meadow and down the backside of the meadow, I did see a lot of hunters along highway 76 and the game warden as well and even the vista irrigation guy. I hunted a little peice of public land next to the road but no birds, so I am going to try the area where I got my 19lb jake last year Close to the mesa grande Indian reservation on the cleveland forest land. Well I hope you all have some luck in the next few weeks. I will get out just about every chance I can till it closes.

metalkingdom

Reaction score
There's a big bearded gobbler that hangs around that water tank.  It's on the reservation side, but maybe you can work him over.

SteveO

Reaction score
I was on forest land beside highway 76 for opening morning. The only thing I have to report is being sat on top of a 3.8 temor at 5:50am Saturday morning, 3 miles from the center.
I did not see a bird or hear a bird, I heard one gun shot at 5:30am. I did meet a hunter who had met a hunter who had seen a bird!
I saw 3 hens the previous week on a scouting trip.

uhunter

Reaction score
I was there for the eathquake also, that woke me up since the turkeys were not playing. I think that place off of 76 was just over run by hunters, i saw turkeys a few weeks ago while scouting up there and had some gobbles last week prior to opening day. Hopefully they will start to come back after all the one timers come and go. WELL i am going back up tommorow before the saturday crowd i will keep everyone posted.  

foulshot

Reaction score
I didn't hunt the Henshaw area for opener, but I didn't do any better than everone else.  I was over in Ramona, felt the quake over there too, and all I saw was 2 hens till I got to the private ranch adjacent to the public land.  At least 30 birds, several jakes.
Went up to the Boulder Creek area Tues to scout some more.  I was still on private land and had to slam on the brakes for the 4 hens crossing the road.  Got to the Natl forest and spotted 2 more hens feeding in a meadow.  Called, no replies.  Kept going to a secret, maybe, spot and walked in on 1 hen 15 ft. away feeding.  Off she ran when she heard me.  Sat quite for a while then called and nothing.  Might scout Eagle peak tomorrow.

uhunter

Reaction score
 I did see some birds 4 jakes and 1 hen down from the henshaw store about a mile on the lake side, hanging out around one of the guzzelers also had a tom cross the road right in front of me down from the Navy Training camp going towards Temecula of course also on private land, then tuesday had a hen jump the road down by the Lajolla Camping area on my home. Those birds seem to know the exact boundaries of the National Forest.
Just one last note the VID guys are not screwing around i saw them stop some guys for tresspassing and called Fish and Game on them, I talked to the ViD patrolman and he said the hunters where giving fish and game a hard time and they where hand cuffed the last he knew. So I guess the point is dont try any thing stupid for a turkey, the reward of getting it legal is alot more satisfying then getting hand cuffed.  

uhunter

Reaction score
Well been up there a few times now went up sunday the second weekend crowd is nothing compared to the opening day guys. Well i saw 2 other cars parked in the whole are ao the pressure seems to be ging off for now. I dont want to spill all the gauge but there is turkeys in the area.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom