Paper Patched 45/70

myfriendis410

Finally found a load that works. I reached my target velocity and an acceptable level of accuracy. This was shot using my Pedersoli Sharps and a tang sight off the bench on a calm day. Group measures exactly 1" center to center for five shots. 10 shots is all you ever want to fire despite the fact the gun weighs 13 lbs.

cjack

Hey, Congratulations. That's quite a grouping for the old Sharps, does that say 100yds on the target? Makes me want to pull out my 1878 Sringfield 45/70 and work on the loads. Someday I would like to take I out and do some pig hunting but right now I just don't have the formula I need to make it ethical.

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Nice 410. I finally got all my handloading equipment and current building a workbench myself. Hopefully I will get there with some of my rifles. How's the I4895 working for ya? I have a hard time finding IMR4064 and Varget. Those are what I want to start with, but if another type that are plenty available and works well, I might try it.

myfriendis410

My target was 1,500 fps with pressure at or below 29,000 psi. Paper patching allows for jacketed velocities (and accuracy in theory) using a lead bullet. I had to do a bunch of stuff including designing my own lube, hand weighing the bullets on a bell curve, heat treating them, sizing down then patching up, and of course a bunch of different powders. I have such a large inventory of powder that I can usually work off of what I have. I must have 30,000 Federal benchrest primers on the shelf too. I played with 4064, 4895, RL7, 4198, 4227, 3031--basically all of the old standards. This has been ongoing for going on two years too so I'm pleased to find one that works. Those oldtimers didn't give up much in the accuracy department, let me tell you. Doing that with a peep sight at 100 yards impressed me! And not just this one group; multiple loads were in very tight. Some in the 1/2 inch range.....

myfriendis410

The one cast load at 1/2" was only 1,250 fps and I wanted to get up above 1,500 fps for (someday) an elk hunt in Colorado/Wyoming. I could do it with the slower load but it would just kill 'em more dead with a faster load.

Top Bottom