• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Paper patching the 45-70 in a Sharps

myfriendis410

I started doing this a couple of months ago. Due to the unavailability of wheelweights I wanted to develop a heavy cast bullet load using range lead and tin. Paper patching allows you to achieve jacketed velocities out of a lead bullet. The goal was 1,600 fps, but I don't think that's achievable at pressures safe for the 1874 Sharps.

This load is stout. I'm guessing (without chronographing) that the load is going out at around 1,450-1,475 fps. Pressures are around 26,000 psi. Range conditions were mild, shot from a bench at 100 yards using a tang sight off of sandbags.

I have no answer for the one flyer. If you discount that one, the four other rounds shot into 1/2". The other load measured 1.2" for five shots. The bullet is a Lyman cast .458 round nose weight sorted and sized to .452 then patched up and lubed/sized to .4580". WW cases, Federal 210m primers and an overpowder wad with a taper crimp. The barrel looks like it had just been cleaned after shooting ten rounds.

Attachments

myfriendis410

I'm in a no-lead zone, too bad.

One was with some left over engineering sketch paper, kind of like thin vellum and the other is called "Resume Paper" available at Wally World and Staples. It's 100% cotton with no bias. Fairly easy to roll if slightly dampened. No clay or lignum to lap the barrel too.

myfriendis410

I'm getting there. I'll have to show you one target I saved; absolutely deadnuts center bullseye and completely sideways. Kind of funny.

Top Bottom