Passed Red Light. Got $446 ticket. Way out?

sean english

Reaction score
Just got in mail a ticket for passing a red light:pictures and a website where I could see film of it too. Yap, looks like I did. I have not had a ticket for a long time. Is there any way out of paying $446? I will go to traffic school to avoid the points but $446 is a lot of money. Any suggestions? This is my first violation in a zillion years. :confused-yellow:

baco

Reaction score
We have them cameras all over victorville they are total BS

Varmit Hunter

Reaction score
The only option that I am aware of is if the picture of you as the driver is questionable. ie doesnt show your face. Then you could claim that you weren't driving the vehicle but you loaned your car to some friends and one of them was driving the car, otherwise you are out of luck as far as I know. Watch out and don't run those red lights.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
We have them cameras all over victorville they are total BS
I kind of like the one by my house here where I get off the freeway. All the ahole red light runners who I used to have to dodge now stop when they should. :smiley_yahoo:

It's a simple deal. Don't want a ticket? Don't run red lights.

Caninelaw

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know...it seems like handing out tickets with red light cameras is like deer hunting with a trip wire and a grenade...no sport in it...

D3Lifer

Reaction score
It's all about the revenue. And Jesse BTW, now that all those SOBS that used to run that light and are now stopping will go back to running that light when the city removes the camera because it's no longer profitable.

MULEY51

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I'm with Jesse on this one. I could care less if people want to think it's about revenue. If it stops the aholes, who think they just have to make that light, start actually stopping, then revenue away. I've seen too many horrific accidents due to idiots running lights. Why is everyone in such a hurry??? Pretty simple, you don't want a ticket, obey the traffic laws.

sancho

Reaction score
in my work truck....big white and orange State truck...i stop for the yellows that have been on for any length of time. it always surprises me that the A-hole behind me freaks out. even on yellows that would switch red on me! the guy behind me would have run it for sure.

to the OP. you are screwed. take traffic school. you still have to pay about a billion dollars, but in the long run..it is a bit cheaper. i am currently nursing my driving record back to health. i have to stay clean for one more year.

Orygun

Reaction score
It's all about the revenue
The revenue even offsets the lawsuits from the accidents caused when they put the cameras. Generally, but not everywhere, the number of rear endings goes up dramatically. People start laying on the brakes to stop and get it from behind.

The tech is getting better but the number or errors created is still significant.

MULEY51

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
the number of rear endings goes up dramatically. People start laying on the brakes to stop and get it from behind.
These would also not occur if people would just slow down, pay attention to the lights, and STOP trying to "beat" them. Do people really think the few seconds they save by running the light makes ANY difference what so ever??? Regardless, rear end collisions are most generally not nearly as severe as getting T-boned.

TrueOutdoors

Reaction score
The only option that I am aware of is if the picture of you as the driver is questionable. ie doesnt show your face. Then you could claim that you weren't driving the vehicle but you loaned your car to some friends and one of them was driving the car, otherwise you are out of luck as far as I know. Watch out and don't run those red lights.
I'm not saying that I am in support of red-light cameras, but you would lie to get out of one?

fossilman

Reaction score
Do the crime-pay the fine.............I was watching a 2 way stop once last week,only 4% of the auto's come to a complete stop,if it was a redlight,accidents would have happened!

Caninelaw

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not saying that I am in support of red-light cameras, but you would lie to get out of one?
When you do that in court I believe they call it perjury...but to each his own I guess.

126 California Penal Code
Perjury is punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for two, three or four years.

Rick

Reaction score
I agree - be more careful. A few seconds of your time is not worth an accident.

As far as rear-ending someone, don't tailgate. (I was rear-ended by a woman on her cell phone - I was already stopped at a red light and was the third car from the intersection! She never even slowed down. Then she took off.)

Guess what - if you rear-end someone, it is your fault. Not theirs.

Pay attention. Yellow means slow down, not speed up. If you do the crime, pay the fine. ;) DOn't complain about getting caught.

Just like speeding - I do it all the time. (Who does 55 on the freeway? Who hasn't done 40 in a 35 zone?) If I get a ticket, it's on me...not the cop.

Marty

Reaction score
All right, enough of the off-topic posts. If you want to rail either way, start your own post and don't hijack this one.

The only way I have seen people get out of a red light ticket is to question the cycle time of the light. If the yellow is not sufficient, then you have grounds for not being able to safely stop on the red. The old "my buddy took the car to Home Depot" excuse doesn't work any more.

sancho

Reaction score
The only way I have seen people get out of a red light ticket is to question the cycle time of the light. If the yellow is not sufficient, then you have grounds for not being able to safely stop on the red. The old "my buddy took the car to Home Depot" excuse doesn't work any more.
marty, not sure if this is correct. if you make it out into the intersection (past the white strip on most crossings) during the yellow, you are good to go. doenst matter if the light turns red while you're out there. crossing that white line, or breaking that "vitual plane" after the light turns red, triggers the camera, meaning your broke the law, and ran a redlight. yellow light timing doesnt even come into play. i asked a SF city cop this while i was getting our electrician to program the traffic light cycle/durations.

i dont think there is a good arguement to get out of the tix anymore, unless the photo is obviously someone else.

Marty

Reaction score
There was a case just this year, locally, where a guy got a r/l ticket and the video showed the yellow was too quick to react. -- just saying.

sancho

Reaction score
yea,,,,i can see how we are both right.

nice to know.

betelgeuse

Reaction score
I heard the same thing as Marty said.

They have busted some cities setting the yellow too short for people to react.

I think San Diego was one that was busted.

Top Bottom