Pattern Software

gtk

Reaction score
Has anyone here thought about or tried to create some kind of database using their pics ?

I was thinking of creating something simple in Access or MySql to log date, time, area of my property, doe/buck/fawn.  Their is also a local web site where i can get barometer, wind, temp, weather for just about anytime anyday for the last 4 years....

I figure with all that information, some kind of pattern might show....

Anybody got any ideas ??  Some of you engineery type people, Tinhorn, Gizz, Archywhatever, Spectra17 got any input...?

Thanks.

Greg

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
GTK, that is exactly what I would like to do.  On my first cam I designed, I have a seperate electonic board that records the time, date and temperature seperate from the camera.  Right now, it records up to 500 seperate events before it becomes full.

I just finished the camera a month ago and have had it in the woods for about three weeks now.  I check it every Friday and so far, I am seeing a definate pattern in the deer movement.  I just bought a book to learn Visual Basic so I can write some logging software that will let me enter the activity logs from my cam as well as the location of each cam.  But this is going to take a heck of a long time to finish.

I saw some software a while back by Mossy Oak, I think.  It was a Topo map software that let you pull up a topo may, and record deer siteings and activity on it.  I looked interesting.  If I find the name of it, I will let you know.  I like the idea you have about also logging the atmoshperic data along with the activity of the deer.  I just wish I could find somthing like that in my area.  

Arrowhead

Reaction score
just an fyi.....

A friend of mine got some software from this company

http://www.oakvue.com/

I haven't seen it personally but I saw him the other day at lunch and he was raving about it.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
From time to time, Gizz and I have been discussing writing a program based on Moon information.  We'd use the date/time of deer pix's to see if there is a correlation between deer movement and certain moon times (moon position or moon phase)

I am a Hobby Programmer and Gizz is an UN-Hobby Progammer (pro) and in fact, I have a program already in the works.  Take a look at Lunatics in this Forum, these type tables would be posted there if we get enough information (data)

If you guys would post or email me the Date, Time, buck or Doe and approx location in the US (or long/lat) it would be great.  The location is needed for calc'g the correct Moon Time for that area.  It don't have to be real precise, center of Iowa type thing is fine....

Tinhorn

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I just installed a copy of Hunt-R-Vue by Oak-Vue that Arrowhead mentioned above. It's a package of topo maps and aerial photos with an interactive log/journal. For some reason it was excruiatingly slow to load maps and move around in. I'm going to contact the guy who sent me the demo CD-Rom and see if it's just buggy software. My computer isn't that old and I run huge map files in about 5 other mapping prgrams with no problems.

gtk

Reaction score
I am a programmer/dba, or well, thats what i get paid to do.  

I have been fiddling around with an Access Db for this stuff,since most people have a copy of Access, and If i get anything that works worth a hoot, I'll give it to whomever wants it.

I just key in data as I get new pics.  I was really just wondering of some way to logically group this data into meaningful information.

Example:  I have noticed that I get late, late evening thru early morning pics at one camera, deer going in both directions.  Another camera seems to get mainly noon-ish picsl, but deer going mostly in one direction.

I didn't realize I had so many deer captured already

I think what I need to doe is build about three more cams, then I can have more data to input.  Everyone knows you can't have too much data.  

gizz

Reaction score
This sounds like a simple yet clean idea. One or two input screens and crank out some reports. If we could come up with anything I could make a setup file for everyone to download and install. What kind of data would we want to track? Buck, doe, fawn, predator points etc?? Any ideas?
GTK, what kind of data are you already tracking?
Tinhorn, you could probably use this same data for the Lunar thingy? I could add and export button and create a file for your prog to read in...

Tinhorn - I'm interested in getting back into the Lunar thing. Seems time always gets the best of me and with the New season coming quickly and a trip planned out west.... a new gun to get scopped and shot, you get the idea. What you have looks great already, sounds like a good winter project to keep the days moving?

(Edited by gizz at 11:07 pm on Aug. 5, 2001)

(Edited by gizz at 11:08 pm on Aug. 5, 2001)

gtk

Reaction score
So far I am tracking.
1. date
2. Time
3. Temp (www.weatherunderground.com has weather history from different times thru-out day)
4. Pressure (Pressure is ALways @ 30.xx)
5. Wind Speed
6.  Weather
7.  Location (or stand location)
8.  Deer (Buck, Doe, or Deer i've numbered, ie seen several times)
9. Direction traveling
10.  Description (ex:  Buck with doe, or Three does toghether)

gizz

Reaction score
gtk - Are you doing anything with the data yet? If you already got something no need to recreate the wheel.
I'm gonna get my pics entered into a table and if your interested I could give you the data as well.
Later,
gizz

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Sounds like we might share data and come up with several tracking programs.  I'd like that, sharing data and reports....

The prg I have already written about the Moon Times (see Jesse's "Lunatic" Catagory) could be modified to incorporate our pix data.  It alreadly knows the times of Daybreak, Sunrise, Sunset, and dark (you know, 30 min's after SunSet it is too dark to see)  It also knows Moon Rise, Moon over head, Moon Set, and Moon on otherside of the world plus Moon Phase.  It calc's these times from the long/lat of the deer's location.

I was thinking I "will" write a new segment so the prg could watch deer movement during certain Moon Phases and Moon Position based on our own "Pix" data.  Percentages could be calc based on Deer pixs of a certain event vs total number of deer pix's.  

The program will create a "Calendar" of good hunting days which would be posted on this forum for everybody to use.  This Data/Calendar would be usefull to schedule Hunt Vacations around (BTW  I won't be sharing the program itself, just the reports (Calendars) it can make and any Raw Data I can gather)

What I was thinking is the program could calc:

1.  Amount of movement during Moon Phases, broken down to Buck or Doe

2.  Amount of movement for Moon Position, etc

3.  Daytime/Nighttime deer movement patterns, does hunting
     pressure reduce daytime movement patterns, how about the
     diff betw summer and winter, bucks and does?

4.  Is there a difference between Morning and Evening movement during the above events?

5.  What Else????

As you can see, I have big plans, and, in fact, have already started modifying my existing progrm to include Pix Data.......I don't know when I will have time to get it up and running to include "our" Data but think it will be in the next few weeks.

But I and the others need your Pix Data

Sorry about the Long Post, I'm bad for that anyway, but got carried away this time........if i'd  have used this time to work  on the program, it's be done by now  LOL

Tinhorn

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Howdy fellers,

i don't know much about all this programing stuff but i sure would like to use some type of program ya'll are speaking of and if you need any data from this side of the crick let me know.

i have been hunting for over 30 years and have come to notice a lot of things that have a bearing on the game movement and would like to know more as to what and when makes em move or hole up and this program you speak of sounds just like the ticket to learn a bit from after you get the right data plugged into it.

are you open to suggestions ?

as to the locations ? maybe even be able to plug in your GPS readings from the deer cam/pic locations as this would give you exact UTM readings of the deer while moving from one place to another that could be plugged into a map program as well to get a big picture so to speak.

Thanks,

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Gunn Docc

be sure and send me the "Exact" GPS readings for the location of one of those hunnert point bucks.......you know,   date for the program  (he he)

Tinhorn

Gun Docc

Reaction score
be glad to Tinhorn.....hehehe

they's on private property  in ''Jawgee'' and
just be warned that the landowner don't treat tresspassers kindly......lol

seriously i would let you in on a few UTM's of some good pics of a deer or two iff'n you need em.
Later,

gizz

Reaction score
Shucks Tinhorn, you call yourself a hobbyist programmer? You da man we call "Tin of all Trades"!
Sure wish I had your time. Maybe if'n I'd work a little more instead of tearing into PIR's I could retire a little earlier. Think you and Richard have us covered for now.

gtk

Reaction score
Tinhorn, man, your getting in deeeep.  Sounds like something you could package and sell.  All i'm trying to do is create some purty reports :)

Anyway, all I have done so far is gather and group my data.  I have yet to generate anything of use.

I will be happy to send you the data I have so far, if you want it.

If you want it, do you want it in the access db, or do you want a comma delimited file ?

Let me know how you want it, and i'll email it to ya.

Greg

wvhunter

Reaction score
I have an access database that I wrote that tracks alot of this stuff.  It was written to track sightings but could be modified for cam use.  It has location description (I don't have a GPS so didn't set it up store store lon/lat), time, temp, stand, baro, season, weapon, what the deer was doing, etc.  It also has a section to record shot information, distance, weapon, reaction, recovery, as well as store a link to a photo if you have one scanned.

If any of you all want a copy to tear apart and modify for this use let me know.  It is written in Access 2000.

P.S. It doesn't have forms to modify the reference tables in it, cause when I was writting it I was just setting it up for me.  But the reference tables that make the drop down lists for weather condition, weapon, etc can be modified thru one table.

(Edited by wvhunter at 10:38 am on Aug. 7, 2001)

Richard Webb

Reaction score
A simple data base is probably okay for flat land use, but if you live in hilly terrain then GIS opens up the whole World. MicroDEM is free software that works in conjunction with its own data base. It will even give you all the geological stuff like earth quakes & volcanoes. Not to mention line of sight for VHF radio communication, slope, weapon fans, fly by movies, sun shadow, lunar, fire roads, water, etc

Forgot to add the link:

http://www.usna.edu/Users/oceano/pguth/website/microdem.htm

(Edited by Richard Webb at 9:19 am on Aug. 7, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
The program I have in mind could only utilize things that can be calculated, like Moon Position or Phase.  etc.  Right now at least, I don't have a way to track Deer Movement based on Weather or Terrain, etc.

With any luck, Deer Movement Patterns will show up with Our Pix Times compared to Moon Position or Phase.  With enough Deer Movement information to see a strong Pattern, no more Deer Movement times would need to be entered.  The only thing that would need to be done after the patterns is established by the program is to print off (and post) the Calendar that would indicate when good deer movement is likely.

Actually, I kept bowhunting records for about 8 or 10 years and wrote the program to look at these Deer Sights and find Deer Movement patterns based on Moon Position or Phase already.  The tables & Calendars the program creates from my personal hunting records is what's posted under the Lunatic's part of this forum.

The problem is, I only hunted 144 times in 10 years and don't have much of a database, that's why I need everybody's Pix Info......to have a large Database so the Movement Patterns Found by the program would be more accurate......get it......

It won't be too difficult to change the program to look at Pix times instead of (or in addition to) actual Deer Sights.

One question is, should we discount the Nighttime Pix's?   "Most" of us don't hunt deer at night  he he

as far as what type files I'd like to have,   I don't know if I will be manually entering them or try to write program code to read any E-mailed files from Forum Members.  I think, right now at least, I would rather have a TEXT File (how swamped am I going to be anyway?) but would take any data I can get, I think I can extract the data from anything sent me.

Thanx for the thoughts and info

BTW,  If you don't have the complete Date, Time and Location, the Program can't calculate the Moon Times.....so it's important to have it all.  as far as not knowing if it's a buck or doe,  that's ok  I will have the program create a report based on bucks, does and Both......if the gender is unknown, it will still fall under "Both"

Tinhorn

(Edited by Tinhorn at 1:07 pm on Aug. 7, 2001)

Gart Eichelberger

Reaction score
I've got  Smarthunter software. You can list differant types of animals. track sightings by weather, moon, animals, you can import your own maps. I've been using it for over a year.
Love this site I'm making my cam now!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom