Peacock Question...

dxh369

Reaction score
Here it is, my parents have a very large peacock living in their backyard, on their roof and around their house. The question is, "What do you do about it?" The thing is definately a menace, eating flowers and creating more WASTE then a whole flock of pigeons could do.

So is this considered a non-game (like an escaped pet), or protected, or a varmit? I have heard that they have dark red meat and eat alot like a goose...

Is it time to pull out an air rifle or does animal control need to be invloved?
Thanks

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
The neighbor had a couple. I got sick of them.
I called animal control and I was told to call some group of folks that handle "wild" animals.
They were captured and moved to a park way South of here.
Very noisy birds.

StephenB

Reaction score
A bow works pretty well against a bird that size. Assuming you could get a shot at the peacock on the ground it would be a pretty safe bet on a good kill. It would also be quieter than shooting an air rifle in the backyard.

As far as being allowed to shoot them, I know a few people who have taken care of neighbor hood peacocks without any problems. Seems like it would be a non-game animal to me - released livestock/fowl. The birds taste like dry turkey.

Duknutz

Reaction score
One shot from the Gobbler Guillotine(oops!spelling)and that big boy won't be flying back over any fences,running to the neighbors!!

mustystubs

Reaction score
A precautionary warning; if you stick it with an arrow and it flies off, you could be looking at animal cruelity charges. Better recruit some animal control people to take care of it.

WildlifeBranch

Reaction score
I asked our enforcement guys to be sure, and the result is: peacocks have no status in state law, and can be taken like a chicken.

JNDEER

Reaction score
QUOTE (WildlifeBranch @ Apr 2 2008, 08:13 AM)
I asked our enforcement guys to be sure, and the result is: peacocks have no status in state law, and can be taken like a chicken.
sounds like an answer out of HQ...LOL

if there is no season on them and they are considered like a "chicken," but if the chicken does not belong to you then can you still kill it? i know they had issues with the homeing pigeon there a while back and could see that this is sort of like that

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Make sure you talk to Glass Eye here. He is a taxidermist and is looking for a peacok. Maybe work a trade?

Glass eye

Reaction score
QUOTE (SDHNTR @ Apr 2 2008, 09:29 AM)
Make sure you talk to Glass Eye here. He is a taxidermist and is looking for a peacok. Maybe work a trade?
Actually, I'm looking for a flock of them. 10 or more to make it worth the drive.

onecoyote

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
How do you kill a chicken, wring it's neck right? But first you got to catch it. My bet is you'll never catch the Peacock by hand. If anybody asks, just say you were cleaning your shotgun and it went off by accident.

WildlifeBranch

Reaction score
I'm gonna assume it is "your" chicken (or peacock) rather than someone else's pet or farm animal....

(I'd like to think DFG does not get into whether one can kill a neighbor's pet or farm animal....) strays from "wildlife"

46 willys

Reaction score
Do you live near the Naval School ? If so that is where he comes from there used to be a ton of them roaming around there . I guess with all the construction going on in there they need to find a new home. I know if you can catch it you could sell it to some one down in carmel valley i know several people who have them

upper

Reaction score
Yea Onecoyote,ya never know when those Peacocks are going to go off....Uppeerr

Orygun

Reaction score
If your in town there may an ordinance against killing them. If you do drop that sucker in their yard you might as well eat the evidence. Peafowl is pretty darn fine eating.

ShooterJohn

Reaction score
Those things are the noisiest and messiest birds you can have invade your property. I have a person that lives fairly close to me that has a number of them. Do you know what a group of peacocks is called? A group of peacocks is called a muster or ostentation. Her next door neighbor just calls them dead meat if they get onto his roof. They seem to breed like rabbits but her neighbor seems to keep them in check. You should hear the noise they make when they come rolling down his roof and smashing into his rain gutters.
I'd be more worried about your local ordinances on discharging a weapon than just killing them. Good luck, I could put you in touch with Peacock Slayer down the road from me. He's turned into the peacock grim reaper.

cut em all

Reaction score
ha ha i didnt know it was legal to kill them!
i wonder if they eat any good?
Im gonna try and stick one with my bow
i have a few properties that they roam on

can you call themn in like a turkey?

Glass eye

Reaction score
QUOTE (cut em all @ Apr 6 2008, 11:31 AM)
ha ha i didnt know it was legal to kill them!
i wonder if they eat any good?
Im gonna try and stick one with my bow
i have a few properties that they roam on

Adult males are tough but edible, hens are awesome.
If you want to attract them, start a bonfire, sounds crazy but they'll hang around a bonfire like a group of kids.

Fugaloo

Reaction score
Calling Pcocks

One time I was installing aluminum seamless gutters on a house. We were using a 12" miter saw with a plywood blade. Ear protection necessary. After about 20 minutes of sawing every couple of minutes as the gutters were being made, a flock of cocks is screaming at us on every chop. They were coming in to the sound of a Makita chop saw slicing through aluminum gutter. And they were coming in hot too. We had to chase them off even after they saw what was making the noise.

I've heard Gobblers reacting to the saw as well, although I never saw any come in to it.

huntingbret

Reaction score
I also heard that peacocks are good eating but have never had the opportunity to try one. I was also told that if the gallbladder of a peacock is accidentally sliced and the biles gets into the meat, then they advise you not to eat that part of the meat that is contaminated. It's lethal and can even bring death. Not sure if that's just a myth or not. Anyhow, let us know how the problem goes.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom