Pelican Box

Rooter

Reaction score
I have a chance to pick up 4 Pelican 1120's at a good price.  How many people have used them and do you like them?  My first cam I used a plastic medical kit box.  Small and light.  I figured if someone wants my cam they are going to get it or destroy it anyway. Thanks for the help.

bat

Reaction score
Rooter,
 I used the 1120 on my first one.  It is really easy to work with.  I did have to do some modifing to the width because of the width of the PF, but this was just a small factor.  You could turn the Camera the other way I guess and wouldn't have to do this.  The thickness of the case give me a problem with mounting the two switches.  I could not get the switch covers on them, not either treads.  I'm going to revisit this when I get a little more time to correct it.  Happy Camming.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Rooter,
The Pelican boxes are great!  Up here we get lots of black bears, so I need to use a tough box - the Pelican boxes survive!

bat.... you can 'machine' a recess for the switches with a Forstner bit.

Archilochus

quackmaster

Reaction score
I use the 1120 and put the camera in width ways, so no mods. needed to get it to fit.  Just like carrying a little suitcase.  Seems quite durable too. I will continue to use the same cases.

INshedpicker

Reaction score
I have yet to come up with a reason not to use the Pelican box.  There are advantages and disadvantages anyway you go, but personally I'll stick with the 1120.  I'm not sure how it would hold up to a bear, but there surely isn't a box made that's criminal-proof.  BTW, I just ordered one for $23.42 (that includes foam and shipping).  Is there a better price out there?

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I have two Pelican 1120 boxes and I love them. Easy to work with, easy to get into and air and watertight! I paid about 14.99 ea for mine without foam and shipping from http://www.cases4less.com. I have been mounting mine the wide way, that way when you open the door downwards, you have a spot to rest your camera  and film on. If you cut your hole the exact size, you can thread the uv lens filter right into the case. I wouldn't build one any other way.

CB

bat

Reaction score
Thanks ARCH for the tip, it's on my todo list.  Didn't have one when I put it together.  You ''know'' how impatient us cammers are, hehe.  Had to get it together to try out...

Advertisement

Top Bottom