Pennsylvania's Deer Dilemma. Special Report.

FLBowhunter

Reaction score
With Gary Alt at the helm I think things in PA will be looking up in no time at all.  He saved the states bear population, and  he is probally one of the best wildlife biologist in the country.

woodseye

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum FLBowhunter. I agree with your opinion I read an interview with Gary and he sounds like he will make a real difference if they just give him the freedom to make changes. Your imput is appreciated.

woods

LadyHunter

Reaction score
Well, at least they are agreeing that they need to controll the deer population. In Conneticut they have signs along their highway saying, "We love our deer, $250.00 fine for hitting one." My tactful daughter said, "Lets hit one! It'll be worth it."

LadyHunter

Reaction score
Sorry, Bull Moose, it's true. My ex hubby is a truck driver and he saw a sign in Conn. that said that. He couldn't believe it. I wonder if it is that town that was on 60 Minutes or 20/20. They had a deer problem and the residents fed the deer making the population to explode. One man was sued for 6 million dollars by his neighbor just because he allowed someone to bow hunt on his property. The deer were destroying his garden. The town council loved their deer and wouldn't allow hunting and if you had problems with deer destroying your gardens, flowers, etc. that was your problem.

Freedom

Reaction score
Being a lifelong PA hunter I know first hand what the deer situation is in the areas I hunt.  I live in the Northwestern region and the herd is under pretty good control here.  Lots of understory in the woods here.  However I also hunt near Pittsburgh with a friend and they have an ungodly amount of deer down there.  No understory at all.  All the rich people complain about the deer eating their million dollar landscapes but they post all their land and patrol it during the month long season (special regs area).  I personally am all for the antler restrictions, I see plenty of deer each year and a few nice bucks but not nearly as many as we could support.  I think with Alt's program (if it passes) you could see PA jump into the hunting world as a spot for some great trophy whitetail hunting in the next few years.  Not sure if Gary's going to get all the support from the hunters that he needs though, its going to be close.

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Gary Alt has the worst job in PA.  We have close to a million deer hunters and every one of them is a highly educated "deer biologist".  This is more political then the presidental election here in PA.  My opinion is that it is hard to argue with science and Gary has science on his side.  

ToddP

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Hey Todd,

I agree with you, He has the worst job...He can't make everyone happy! I think his plan has good ideas, I also think there is room for improvement in his plan. I am just glad to see them doing something about it.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom