Performance of different voltages

SouthernStyle

Reaction score
Can you guys give me some of the pros/cons of using different voltages (6v vs. 9v vs 9.6v, etc)?  Specifically I would like to understand how the performance is affected using an Owl PF Date, MS20 with Jon's mods (including optocoupler), and Jon's timer.  

I have mine set up for testing using just a 9v alkaline but plan on using (8) AA 1.2v rechargeables for 9.6v.  Of course the problem with this is the number of batteries to contend with.  If I went to 6v, I understand the simple timer mods would yield different inhibit times but what are the other cons for using a lower voltage.  I could maybe see a problem with a particular voltage relay, but since I'm using the optocoupler instead of a relay I'm not sure how performance would be affected with the different voltages.  Can you give me some ideas?

Thanks,
Scott

passgas55

Reaction score
I run my low power m20 on 6 volts. When I was doing my testing all that I used was 4 AA NiMh batteries and that was running a D370,Brain's timer and jon's lp m20 with no problem. Of course with that kind of load you may get a week. But 4 AA NiMH hooked up to a low powered M20 should give you 2 months. 1.2volts NiMh = 1.5volts alk because, someone correct me if I am wrong, of the lower internal resistance of a NiMH. Also a NiMH keeps its voltage up during discharge. Try running it on 4 AA NiMh and see what happens . You will be happy.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
For Information, Archi posted this back in May:

"Hi guys,
I'm not a battery expert .... but consider this....

The MS-20 will run on a 6 volt supply.
When the batts get run down near ~5 volts, the MS-20 will become unstable and shoot off whole rolls of film (ask Tinhorn about that one).

So - when you have 4x alkaline cells in parallel, the total voltage = 6 volts nominal.  Use NiMh batts or NiCd instead and the total voltage will only be 4.8 volts nominal.  That's well below the ~5 volt minimum needed by the MS-20.

Lots of devices that run on 4x alkaline cells have 4.8 & 5 volt regs in them.  These devices might become unstable with the lower supply from 4x NiMh or NiCd.
That's the way my circuits behave - I need to toss in an extra NiMh to up the total voltage to 6 volts.  Or in some cases I've replaced the 5 volt reg with a 4 volt job (PIR range went down though).

The guys at Energizer are no doubt right - NiMh will "run" any circuit that normally uses alkalines, but they didn't specify that the circuit would run properly :)

There's also the issue of self-discharge.  Used with very low-power circuits  (like Brians timers), the NiMh & NiCd batts will lose almost as much energy (or more) through internal discharge than they do running the circuit.  NiMh & NiCd will run high drain items like digital cams much longer than alkalines, but not low current circuits.  But when they do work in a device, the savings in $$ is considerable.

Archilochus "

coyotebandit

Reaction score
Correction

4x AA's in Parrallel = 1.5 Volts

4x AA's in Series = 6 Volts

Advertisement

Top Bottom