PETA: Fishing is simply hunting in the water

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
State park not place for 'violent pastime'

To Editor: Evansville (IN) Courier & Press

Please allow me to respond to your article about PETA's efforts to sink fishing in state parks ("State sinks PETA plea to let fish off the hook," Oct. 19).

Many state parks have already sent gun-toting hunters packing, and PETA thinks that anglers should be cast out next. After all, fishing is simply hunting in the water.

Fish cannot always express their suffering in ways that humans can easily recognize, but common sense -- and marine scientists -- tell us that fish feel pain, just as all animals do.

Famed oceanographer Jacques Cousteau once stated, "To reassure one's conscience, it is said that fish do not feel pain. ... Of course, such claims are completely without foundation."

According to Donald Broom, professor of animal welfare at Cambridge University, "The scientific literature is quite clear. Anatomically, physiologically and biologically, the pain system in fish is virtually the same as in birds and mammals."

Adds Austin Williams, a U.S. National Marine Fisheries Service zoologist, fish "are sentient organisms, so of course they feel pain."

Fishing has other victims, too: The countless birds and aquatic animals who suffer -- or die -- from injuries caused by discarded fishing hooks, monofilament line, lead weights and floats. Many wildlife rehabilitators say that lost and discarded fishing tackle is the No. 1 danger to aquatic animals today.

Fishing is a violent pastime that does not complement the peace and tranquility of a state park. For more information, please visit PETA's Web site FishingHurts.com.

Paula Moore

Staff writer

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

Norfolk, Va.

November 24, 2001

Stever

Reaction score
Wow!
These guys are out of control. Being from Ontario Canada, the power of this type of group caused the spring bear hunt to end even with proven scientific knowledge that it was beneficial to the biology of the bears.
Peta really sucks. We need to end any and all support for their organization.

Fubar

Reaction score
I have been telling fishermen about PITA for years. A lot of them said "I dont hunt, I only fish". I told them we need to stick together, its only a matter of time before they come after fishermen too. Little by little they come. They single out certain groups like trappers. I have heard other hunters say "I dont trap". Then they go after houndsmen. Some guys might say "I dont hunt with dogs". Before you know it they have divided and conquered. It is time to join together to get rid of these wackos. Get behind our fellow hunters and fishermen. Before you know it they will be after you.             Fubar

Stever

Reaction score
I think they are considering registering butter knives as weapons!
To give you an idea of how these groups work. There is a group in Southern Ontario that is anti Nuclear. They recieve funding from government to be watch dog for Nuclear power. They have strapped themselves to towers etc in protest. These guys do it for the money it is their income and they love rock the boat whether it is right or wrong. These group generally have no basis in realty. Look at the story of Green Peace it will make you sick. Oh man Now you got me going.
Green Peace stopped the seal hunt in the east. Down east this summer I spoke with two fisherman who spend there spare time shooting at seals just to keep them at bay from their nets. The seals have been a major part in destroying the fisheries. So now what is the benefit, no seal hunting for pelts , lost industry, increased out of control seal population useless killing of seals to control population. That is sad.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom