PETA shows pig slaughter video to 11-year-olds

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Portsmouth mayor blasts PETA for showing kids grisly video

By JODY RECORD, Portsmouth, NH Union Leader

5/9/02

PORTSMOUTH — Mayor Evelyn Sirrell blasted an animal rights group for bringing its graphic message to middle school students in a video that depicted the slaughter of pigs.

In a letter to the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, the Portsmouth mayor slammed the animal rights group, saying its treatment of children was disgraceful. She presented the letter this week to the city council.

“It’s an absolute atrocity, to use children this way,” Sirrell said yesterday, still fuming a week after the demonstration took place across the street from the Portsmouth Middle School. “A lot of kids were traumatized by what they saw.”

Two members of the group, one dressed like a pig and carrying a sign that read “Pigs are friends, not food,” talked with students about what PETA considers cruel treatment of pigs raised for pork products.

In her letter, Sirrell asked, “Has your campaign failed so miserably among adults — those who actually make the food-choice purchases in homes across our city — that you must target children as young as 11 to try to make your case? Was this ethical treatment of young people, or simply a publicity stunt in poor taste?”

Sirrell said she couldn’t think of any other reason the organization had chosen middle schoolers, given that they aren’t likely to be doing the grocery shopping. She also took issue with PETA’s claim that it tried to make sure no one under 13 saw the video.

“I’ve received so many telephone calls from upset parents. There were 11-year- olds that saw the video,” Sirrell said. “They were very upset. It was really, really grisly.”

Sirrell said she would have gone to the school and stood in front of the screen to block the view had she not been home sick with the flu.

Because there aren’t any city ordinances prohibiting such displays, there wasn’t any way to stop the protesters from setting up on the sidewalk and showing the video, Sirrell said. The only restriction came in making them move across the street because their presentation wasn’t a school-sponsored project.

“As long as they weren’t obstructing the sidewalk, there wasn’t anything we could do,” Sirrell said. “But it makes me furious. Especially because groups like this tend to be here one day and gone the next. You don’t see them again and they’ve done their damage. Why is that? Why don’t they stick around?”

PETA is an international organization that advocates animal rights, including eliminating animal testing and animal abuse.

paulc

Reaction score
i like the one point the mayor makes.. peta has failed so miserably with adults that they have resorted to trying to shock children..  thankfully most people do not take these idiots seriously

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 This could lead parents to the point of sueing the organization,they may have just costed themselves dearly.

soarkrebel

Reaction score
Finally i have something halfway in common with PETA! my eleven year old has shot and cleaned deer,tree rats and turkey. hasnt changed him either!!

Hook

Reaction score
I find it interesting that they chose pigs. I was in Florida last weekend and they were a lot of women going around trying to get signatures for a petition in order to get pigs to be held in bigger cages. Or some crap like that. I did get the impression that they were not telling the whole truth about the petition.
I was not a registered voter so they blew me off and went to the next person.

But why pigs????? Does anyone know?

ranchwife

Reaction score
After thinking about it, most children have seen the movie 'Babe - the talking pig' and most kids have seen the movie or read 'Charolette's Web.'  PETA will probably start showing chickens being slaughtered because most kids have seen the movie 'Chicken run'.  Hopefully the beef industry can keep Hollywood from making a movie about cows.

rusman66

Reaction score
I hope PETA keeps that up. I think all kids should know where there food comes from. I think we were all probably a little traumatized the first time we saw an animal gutted and butchered. You get over it when you mature and realize just how good those sausage links are with your eggs.  These kids now know what it takes to get food on the table. It doesn't arrive with the pork fairy.  Keep up the good work PETA.  I am sure that they could get Speckmissers brother scott to show them the proper way to butcher a pig, he carved his up at Tejon in nothin flat.

(Edited by rusman66 at 1:44 pm on May 14, 2002)

ranchwife

Reaction score
rusman66,
I understand the point you're trying to make, but I don't think that that is the point PETA is trying to make. I agree that kids and adults need to know where their food comes from.  Most adults don't know where the meat, bread, canned vegetables, juice drinks, etc. come from - it just magically appears on the grocery store shelves.  If PETA was showing a video on where food comes from, they would not have focused solely on the slaughter of the animal.  There is more to meat production than just killing the animal.  A video that showed where the meat came from would have included much more.  It would have discussed where and how the swine food was produced, then it would have shown how pigs are bred and the care that goes into their reproductive health, the immunization records and why they are given boosters, how the rancher helps the sick and hurt animals, how the piglets are born, how long they stay with the sow before they are weaned, where they go after they are sold and weaned, how they are sold, what happens on food lots, how they are sold to meat packers, then how they are butchered and processed, where they go after butchering, how they are cut up and finally how they end up on the grocery store shelves.

Just showing the death of the pigs is doing a grave injustice to the pork industry, and the meat industry for that matter.  No, PETA was not showing where meat comes from, but was showing just the gruesomeness of their deaths.  In my opinion, PETA would never do anything that was going to promote the consumption of animal products.  Kids are extremely vulnerable and easily swayed and watching a video like this has the potential to traumatize them for life. This is why they didn't show the video to adults - we can't be easily swayed.

If you want your kids to know where their food comes from, then take them to a local farm and/or ranch.  Let them sit in the equiptment, let them see how the animals are taken care of, let them see the books and how much it costs to raise a crop, taken them to an auction, and most importantly let them talk to the rancher/farmer and learn about where their food comes from.  Kids have to know the whole truth - if they don't, then they are just learning half-truths, a half-truths are still lies.

(Edited by ranchwife at 3:54 pm on May 14, 2002)

Modocer

Reaction score
Well said ranchwife. I am willing to bet that PETA made the slaughter house out to be 10 times more gruesome than it really is. Are you really teaching kids where there food comes from if you only show 15 minutes of a year long process?

rusman66

Reaction score
Well said ranchwife, I was trying to be sarcastic. I know darn well that is not what Peta was trying to show.  But I disagree on one point and I believe the most important one. I don't care how nice and lovely you make ranch life out to be and the whole food process. The bottom line is you slaughter that pig. You kill it, gut it and cut it to pieces.
I do not believe showing children just this small part of the whole picture, will do the damage that peta is trying to inflict.  

My daddy always said that the reason kids today are so willing to pull the trigger on another human is becouse the only death they have experienced is tv fantasy. It's not permenant it ends as soon as the tube is turned off.

ranchwife

Reaction score
Ranch life isn't all that lovely and I would never say that it is.  Because I live on the ranch I know that the fianl stage of the animal's life is its salughter, but there is more to it than just it's death - what happens to it once it is dead and "gutted."  People have to know the whole process of meat production.

I agree that children are de-sensitized to death because of the violence they see on screen. But I still don't think that children will go completely unharmed after seeing the video - they will most likely remember bits and pieces of it for a period of time (partly because it was an animal's death and not a person's).  Even if they hesitate to eat meat, or try to persuade their parents not to serve pork chops because of the video means that the video did affect them.  But unless we ask these kids how it affected them, we won't know the whole truth.

I think that the whole PETA-video issue is very disturbing.  What lengths are they willing to go?  What are they willing to do?  Do they have no conscience?  Do they have no morals?

jerry d

Reaction score
I hope PETA does more things like this.

Seem here lately they've been "shooting themselves in the foot", so to speak, every time they turn around.

They're now after the Calif. Cheese ads on tv. Said they don't show the cows in real life conditions. Said the cows are mistreated, etc.

My wife loves the cheese commercials and said PETA "should get a life".

They're also taking a lot of flack about this from radio talk shows. Even the liberal ones.

Add this to the fact that they've supported environmental terrorist (Earth First) and people start to see them for what they really are. Now some tee'd off people are dropping support of these idiots.

Keep it up PETA. We love you!!!!

rusman66

Reaction score
Ranchwife you could be right, I hope I didn't come off sounding like I have all the answers. It's Just me talking outloud on the keyboard. I have been known to be wrong.

I would just love to see those Peta goofs shoot themselves in the foot.

Thanks for the input.

ranchwife

Reaction score
I am also hoping that through this video PETA harms themselves - they deserve it!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom