Pheasant Hunting in Calexico

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
I read an article about pheasant hunting in Calexico. I am kinda interested in going and doing some scouting down there. I was wondering if anyone has hunted done there. Is it tough to find a place to hunt or are the farmers not leting hunters on their field?

docramo

Reaction score
Qbn hunter
Check one of the prior threads about pheasants in this forum. Maybe some info you could use. I think it was on El Centro pheasnts. Same area.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Most of the fields are now posted.  Many of these same fields were open several years ago but are now posted.  You can find a lot of land to hunt on, but it comes at a steep price.  Mike Abatti of Abatti Farms has formed a so called pheasant hunting co-op.  The Abatti Farms run a lot of the artichoke fields in the valley and the artichoke is prime habitat.  There are tons of pheasant - ironically, most of their ancestors were planted with money from the upland stamp revenue - hmmm.  But anyway . . . you can find unposted fields but your chances are diminishing every year.  Try the brush along canals and the Alamo and New Rivers and you may have some luck.

Happy Hunting.

docramo

Reaction score
Fullsack
I think the fields you referred to are ASPARGUS fields and not artichoke. The thought of hunting amongst artichoke would be brutal. The fresh cut asparagus is the ideal fields to hunt. Some times there cut and sometimes not. The un-cut is real difficult to hunt but is very productive if you have plenty of people. The alfalfa is easier to work but not as good. To bad Abatti's have gone to the fee for hunting there lands, unfortunately more of the farmers are doing the same. I still enjoy the wild birds way more than planted birds. Hope to hunt some up this fall.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Yeah, you're right, I don't know what I was thinking.  Mmm, but artichokes do sound good right now!!!

I've heard that he made around $20k on opening weekend last year.  I'm sure more hunters will pay a premium to hunt the wild birds.

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
I would rather hunt once or twice and pay to hunt wild birds than pay $75.00 and hunt chickens in pheasant costumes.

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
I’d be careful hunting uncut asparagus fields two years ago some guys did started walking an asparagus fields DFG pulls up lets on the end and gave every one of the a ticket. I asked her way the field was not posted and it’s not a melon crop she told me that you can not hunt asparagus fields it damages the crop. WBH

docramo

Reaction score
Can't see how you could hurt uncut asparagus as they mow it down to a nub ,then let it dry, then burn the remains, then re-water and pick the young shoots and that's what you eat. In fact when the tractors go through the fields to do the first cut they inflict more damage than any amount  hunter's could do (IMO).  Anyone else have any info on this?

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Most hunters may not realize that the average crop of asparagus yeilds about $1,000,000 for a farmer.  Now, realize also that the field can be harvested for around 10 years.  From what I remember in my conversations with asparagus farmers is that the crop is grown, burned down, and flooded.  The new shoots that grow are what you see in the market.  These are cut by hand!!  The critical stage is during the flooded stage.

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
I didn’t ask way you can’t hunt it was just told you can’t and after seeing all the guys that got tickets for doing it I’m not going to test it.  She the DFG officer was not very friendly don’t think it was her normal area to patrol or maybe a bad day. WBH

Cazador Suerte II

Reaction score
My undertanding is that it is illegal to hunt in a field with "row crops" which would include aparagus (although I agree with the above regarding the way asparagus is grown.  

I have asked the DFG officer in the Imperial Valley about this and they said "if it is planted in rows, you cant hunt there."  I think you would be okay in alfalfa or sudan grass fields, as these arent used for food for humans.

With the way that things are in the Imperial Valley, you better be prepared to pay Mike Abbati to hunt, or get permission from the landowner.  The available areas to hunt, like most of the rest of the State of California, are shrinking in the Imperial Valley.

foulshot

Reaction score
I've hunted hay type crops that have been planted in rows.  It's always been my understanding that you don't hunt wet fields and fields that are close to harvest.

BTW, the DFG fields that DWU is cultivating are planted in rows also!

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
It will be my first time hunting in that area and I am planning on doing dome scouting. It is worth going down there or is it pointless cause every good spot is posted?

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Most field are not posted until a few days before opener.  Maybe be its a marketing ploy to allow people to think there are open fields and then on the opener they show up and it's posted - the only alternative is to fork over the cash.

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
Most of the fields that are posted are on the south end of the valley some of the fields north will be but most are not but a lot of the fields north of the 8 are really big and not fields that you would hunt by yourself.
As for fields not to hunt any melon field that has not been harvested, wet field, in-closed fields and row food fields it looks like
How about a late season JHP upland bird / yote hunt?
WBH

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
Well I am planning on doing some scouting during the last weekend of the 1st dove season. I think that most fields that will be posted for the pheasant opener will be posted for the dove season.

Maverick

Reaction score
WBH I'am up for that any time... well when it season!! did you email me that info? i never saw it

thanks chris

Hook

Reaction score
Chris,
damn, you beat me to it, I was just looking for that very picture to use as my avatar.

Great movie with the great John Wayne.

I'll enjoy seeing it here anyway.

Remshot

Reaction score
Yep, it's sad the valley is being posted and fields leased for hunting. However,if fallowing is initiated we'll all feel it.Feinstein offered IID some money and then stated that if IID didn't take the money they would still take the water anyway.They seem to think growing food and cash crops are a waste of water.So what happens to produce prices and unemployment?
 Still lot's of open land but I do resent not being able to hunt my favorite places anymore.Now the pay to hunt guys are moving in.What next? Probably try to make us smog our vehicles every year like everyone else in the state.

Maverick

Reaction score
Sorry Hook,
  I was looking at the new ones jesse had up and i just had to have it.

Top Bottom