Pheasant Opener - Results

Bodie

Reaction score
I made it out to Grizzly Island for pheasant opener.  I started out of parking lot #1 and walked in a round about away towards parking lot #2.  I was with four other guys and four Labs including mine.

I got two birds, my friend got two birds, and my friend's three friends got four birds total.

I think we made out better then most since the guy said at the check station they had let in 400+ people and as of 1:00pm they had only see 74 birds come out, including ours.

Overall, the trip was a lot of fun, my first to Grizzly Island.  My dog worked well and he thoroughly enjoyed himself.  

Now I need to figure out were I am going tomorrow.  Probably going to head up and put in the lottery at Colusa and Little Dry Creek.  Hopefully, I will have good luck.  With the weather coming in the duck hunting might be good also tomorrow.

DanV

Reaction score
Hunted Yolo Sportsman Assoc. pheasant lease in Yolo Co. Did not see any birds , only heard of ONE being shot. What a joke , most (99%) of the land made real clean by the owners. Way too hard on their clean farming practices, fence rows spotless and most ditches recently scraped. Rice fields already plowed and alfalfa mowed in the last couple of weeks. Also way too many hunters for available hunting land, most I talked to were somewhat disappointed also. Could have hunted Quail Point ( An excellent hunt)a couple of times more for what I payed for these pheasant permits for my son and myself. Oh, well learned a lesson, different plans for next year and public land for the rest of this season. Good Luck to the rest of you pheasant hunters out there.

Whoadog

Reaction score
Dan,
 I was hunting just to the north of you (adjacent to Rd. 24 on private land) and yeah it was slim pickings.  I will be hitting Gray Lodge a lot also and actually hope to make it up a couple of times during this week.  You and your son are both welcome to come along, it is tough hunting for a few birds but very rewarding.

Brian

grizz

Reaction score
Had a good day in the field sat. with my two sons.  We ended the day @ 11:00 with five.   The birds jumped well ahead of us at first, but my yougest managed to limit by 8:30.  He headed for the truck to get away from the moesquitoes.   My other son and I didn't have a bird yet.  We worked for the three we got, but had missed a couple we should have had.  By 11:00 the dog was tired and so was I so we called it a day.  
PS we jumped hens at least, five to one  

Irish Lad

Reaction score
My friends and I  got 2 for the 4 of us at Wister. Lots of hens out. Not many roosters.  

Bodie

Reaction score
Well I made it out Sunday afternoon.  I went to Little Dry Creek.  Should have gotten out earlier, but I was too tired to wake up.  I have been hunting almost every day for a week now and I am getting worn out.  Anyways, I hunted LDC for about 1.5hrs and I got one bird.  However, it was a really nice bird, good size and long tail feathers.  Other then that my dog only got up one other bird a hen.  Also, the mosquitoes at LDC are incredibly thick.  I think mosquitoes are becoming resistant to DEET too.

After leaving LDC I headed over to Delevan to put in the lottery for Monday.  I got drawn 65 (they only allow 50 on, then refills).  I headed up this morning anyways planning on having to wait it out, however, with the rain, less then half the people showed.  I got on at 8:00am and got my 3 roosters by 10:00am.  It was tough hunting with the heavy rain, but if you looked in the right areas there were a lot of birds.  It seemed like most people either got zero birds or three birds.  I credit my dog for my good luck.  He was one hell of tule buster today.

Also, not many ducks moving around Delevan this morning despite the weather.  However, on Sunday, while waiting for the lottery results, I saw some guys come out with some decent numbers.

Bodie

Reaction score
Whoadog,

I might run into this week.  I plan on hitting up Gray Lodge either tomorrow (Tuesday) or Wednesday.  If I do not make it there this week, I will be there next Wednesday for sure, since I have a ressie for the 21st.

Varmint Al

Reaction score
Well, I got skunked on Saturday. The field was dry and I was afraid to let Bart go into the stick-tights. Of the 80 acres, fully half is tall stands of stick-tights. The roosters were flushing at 80 to 100 yards. All the birds were very spooky. I got one shot, but of course I missed. Bart ended up getting a stick-tight in each eye anyway and was very uncomfortable. His eyes got matted up and evidently they came out naturally during the night. He was fine in the morning.

Well, it rained Sunday and made the stick-tight problem less severe and the birds held cover better. We went out after the rain and I got a rooster and of course he landed in the stick-tights. I called Bart off the fetch and he minded. We went around the back side and the rooster was a runner. Bart charged in and did a perfect fetch. By then it was about sundown. Monday morning it was heavy rains. As soon as the rains let up, we went out and I nailed another rooster. In the stick-tights again. Bart made a perfect fetch.

Here is a picture of the two roosters. I sure am proud of my Bart. I am telling him what a good job he did.

We hunted Bethel Island on 80 acres of cattle pasture and weeds. Here is Bart's web page...http://www.varmintal.com/abart.htm

Soccer Dad

Reaction score
I had a great day at Colusa on Sunday.  I took a new hunter (this was his first pheasant hunt) and my 12 year old boy who is experienced (3 year's of hunting).  This was our 18 month old German Shorthair's first wild bird hunt.  We hunted all day with a 1 1/2 hour lunch break and all got our limits.  My son missed an opportunity on his first double when the stock of the gun got caught on his shirt as he was putting it to his shoulder for the second bird.  Our dog was the star.  I had no idea and no expectations that she would point so many birds.  We had shots at 8 roosters (my son's miss and the new hunter missed a bird I walked in on the point) and probably 20 hens for the day (no we didn't shoot at those).  I was pleased with the dog's performance.  This is my first Shorthair.  

A comment Whoadog said about an upland dog doesn't get tire and can go all day is really true.  We must have walked 5 miles and the dog does far more than that.  She hunted (ran) the entire time.  She doesn't pant, her mouth is always closed so she is breathing through her nose the whole time.  I couldn't believe how she would just turn around after running by thick tule's and go in to find a bird.  On the last bird of the day we even got a water retrieve out of her.  

As we were driving home my 12 year old said, "Dad, that was the best hunt of my life."  This was coming from the mouth of a kid who has been fortunate enough to hunt the last two year's junior waterfowl day's at an exclusive duck club and came home with limit's and limited on previous junior pheasant hunts.  That comment is the best thing I will ever hear!

hntndux

Reaction score
Went to Gray Lodge on Sunday and only saw one rooster.  Dropped it on my second shot, but it must have took off running because we couldn't find him and he hit right on a road.  Went over to LDC at 12:30 and got right on, pops and I had our limits by 1:30.  In one short walk we put up 7 roosters.  Stayed for Mondays shoot and got up 6 in the same spot with only one of them within 80yds and I missed him so no birds for us on Monday.  One thing I saw more of than ever was deer!  I saw a nice 3x3 and a spike along with a few does at Gray Lodge and also saw a hugh 3x3 at LDC, also saw 2 spikes and several does.  They get right into the middle of big berry patches to bed down.  My lab goes through berries like butter so by the end of the day I had more of a deer dog than a pheasant dog.

huntducks

Reaction score
2 of us Hunted San Jacinto Monday which was opener for area, we saw 7 chickens 5 brown and 2 longtails, we each got one LT, man was the cover thick where we were hunting we had to almost step on the hens, and both LT flushed at 30+ yds, we saw maybe 6-7 other birds that were taken, most said they had shots but missed or birds flushed out at 60 to 80 yds.

If you are hunting there next monday I would suggest you try teaming up with another group as 4 hunters would be a lot better then 2 and more then 1 dog would be better.

songdog

Reaction score
I was in ID instead of CA but shot my first banded bird.  I've been waiting for a banded duck for 15 seasons now to no avail and it figures my first banded bird was a pheasant.  No complaints here...

Bodie

Reaction score
Hntndux,

I got to LDC about a half an hour after you did on Sunday.  I too, saw several nice deer, both bucks and does.  My dog kept busting them out and then wanted to chase them.  The e-collar fixed him of that.  

Were the mosqitoes thick where you hunted on LDC?  I was in the fields directly West of the check station (You park in the first lot you come to after leaving the check station then take off on the first road that heads Southwest.  You can't just walk West from the check station because of the slough).  Anyways I only got up one rooster and one hen over there and was swarmed by mosquitoes the entire time.

This was the first time I have hunted LDC and I really had no clue where to go.

hntndux

Reaction score
We must have been close because that's where we came out about 1:30pm.  On our way back I had a little spike running in front of me on the road that parallels the slough on the West side.

Varmint Al

Reaction score
Doing really well on pheasants for me this season, for me:.

Saturday = 0 (opening day)
Sunday   = 1
Monday  = 1
Tuesday = 1
Wednesday  = 1
Thursday = 2
Friday = 1

All hunting was on the 80 acre goat ranch right across the street from me except for Tuesday where I hunted the North-East corner of the Limit Out Hunting Club. I usually put in about 40 miles during a pheasant season and get only about 5 birds total. I have been taking Bart every day for at least one walk around (about 2.5 miles of meandering) the field. If I don’t, he really bugs me to go hunting. On Thursday, I got the two roosters with 3 shells. Today, Friday, I was using the cheap 20 Ga Win SuperX loads of 1 oz of 6's and didn’t want to clean another bird. But when Bart jumped the rooster, reflexes took over and the bird was DWIHTG. (Dead When It Hit The Ground). Bart fetched it and did a fancy finish with the set and delivering the bird to hand. Bart has 3 legs toward the Junior Hunter Title and needs one more leg for the Title. I shoot an old (got it in 1963 20 Ga. Win 101 O/U with 30" full/full barrels). It is still just as tight as the day I bought it and the action closes with a sound like the door on a $100K sports car. Anyhow, having a very good season so far. Still no ducks flying to speak of, but some geese up very high.

bloodsports

Reaction score
Hunted Little Dry Creek Sat And Sun.  Had both my birds in 1 hour the first day and only shot one bird and four mallards the second day.  Planed to stay all week put left early Mon. because of the rain.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
PHEASANT OPENER DECENT -- Jim Matthews-ons -- 14nov01

Imperial Valley pheasant opener good for hunters on private ground

EL CENTRO -- The pheasant opener for hunters in Imperial Valley was good for hunters with access to private ground or who hunted with Abatti Farms fee hunting program called Upland Paradise. The Monday hunt at the Wister Unit of the Imperial Wildlife Area was shaping up to be pretty fair.

Paul Knox with Upland Paradise said they had 30 hunters on opening Saturday at Abattii Farms and that “everyone got a limit -- and if they didn’t it was their own fault because there was plenty of opportunity.”

Knox said there were plenty of birds to be had in the whole Imperial Valley and he heard that most hunters who scouted and gained permission to hunt the asparagus and alfalfa fields did pretty well.

“Sunday was a little harder. You had to be a dedicated hunters to get your birds on Sunday,” said Knox. “They seemed to wise up and head for the asparagus and most guys didn’t want to get into that stuff because it hasn’t been harvested yet.”

Jim Brown, a San Diego-based hunter, said he hunted three alfalfa fields opening morning in the valley and got up a single hen pheasant, but “that we spoke with several hunters who did pretty well. It was just so crowded down there opener.”

At the Wister Unit, there were 81 hunters on the area for the Monday hunt and by noon, the check station had recorded 10 pheasants.

The San Jacinto Wildlife Area, near Lake Perris, had 48 pheasant hunters who managed to bag 14 wild roosters on its Monday drawing hunt this week.

LuCkY ShOt

Reaction score
is anyone going to the family pheasnt in banning if so hope to see you there on december 15

Varmint Al

Reaction score

Well, today is the last day of pheasant season. This is the best pheasant season I have ever had and Bart is the very best hunting dog I have ever hunted with. I got 2 roosters yesterday and he did a textbook perfect fetch with both of them. On the second one, it was in the tall stick-tights and he went in after it. I could see the tops of the brush moving. That was my only clue to where he was. When they stopped moving, I whistled to fetch and here he comes with the big rooster in his mouth. He did a perfect heal and sit, lifted his head and delivered the rooster to hand. The Junior Hunt Test training sure has helped, but Bart is a very easy to train dog. Today, no roosters. I know of a pond surrounded by brush. We snuck up on it and flushed a flock of Mallards. I dropped two of them with the 20 Ga. Kent TungstenMatrix Impact 1-1/8 oz of #5 shot shells. The drake was a diver. It took Bart about 5 minutes to finally catch it. He did a good fetch with me standing in water. (No set at heal when you standing in water.) He couldn't fine the hen, so I had to walk back home and get my hip waders on. We went back and he found the hen. She had swam about 100 ft from where she went down in the weeds. Sum it all up... 14 pheasants and 2 ducks. Now the serious duck hunting starts. Here is a picture of us with the two ducks.

Top Bottom