Pheasant results

Soccer Dad

Reaction score
I had a very good year with my young GSP.  She is 18 months old and it was her first season.  I ended up with 7 wild birds from public land.  My son got 2 in his only wild bird hunt of the year (Colusa).  And my hunting buddy got another with my dog at Colusa.

How was your season?

Did you see on the DFG website that the public meetings held for discussion of setting the upland regs. for the next two years include topic's such as extending pheasant season???????  Write the DFG! Appear at the public hearing to express your opinion!!

bloodsports

Reaction score
I had a fair year.  Ended up with 7 bird coming from refuges and 3 birds off public land near Kern...  

limit7

Reaction score
Did anyone take any at Kern?  I did not even see one this year.

bloodsports

Reaction score
I dont know about anyone taking any from the refuge.  I got mine from two locations near the refuge though.      

Ponscm

Reaction score
Ended up with nine roosters this year.  Not bad for my pup's first season.  This is the first year I have had the opportunity to hunt over a dog every time I went out.  All other years, it has been myself kicking the brush hoping to find a bird that didn't want to run out ahead of me.  It has been incredible this season so far watching how beneficial a good dog can be.  Less birds lost (ducks), more birds put up (pheasants).

Bodie

Reaction score
Had a new Lab pup this year and made it out several times.  I was able to hunt public land, private land, and two clubs.

For public land, I hunted at Grizzly Island, Little Dry Creek, Grey Lodge, Yolo, and Delevan.  Ended up with 11 birds from these areas.  I shot 8 and my dog found 3 cripples.

For private land, PONSCM hooked me up on the last weekend of the season with a buddy of his place (secret location).  I got 3 birds total from here.  Should have had more, but I missed a few.

For clubs, I shot at Knight's Landing Sportsmans Club and Quail Point Hunting Preserve.  I got 4 and 2 respectively.  Probably would not do the KLSC membership again, unless I had a buddy to hunt with all the time.  It is hard to hunt ditches without a blocker at the other end.  As for Quail Point, I will be going back there again.  I had an awesome time.

Now that the season is over, I need to patch up some things with the woman.  Spent too much time in the field and not enough with her.

Also, I recently heard a rumor that DFG might be thinking about extending the Pheasant season next year.  That would be nice, but first I think they need to concentrate on habitat improvement on their existing lands to favor pheasant reproduction and survival.

coveys4ever

Reaction score
My pheasant hunting buddy and I have been out 3 times and have taken 12 roosters.  We hunt in north central Mizzurah about half a mile south of Iowa.  Just my buddy and my 4 year old GSP.  We have noticed a good number of roosters and not many hens.  I am mainly a quail hunter, but we haven't found as many quail this year as we did last year in that part of the state.

Top Bottom