Pheasant Study

Whoadog

Reaction score
 There is a good article today on the front page of the sports section in the Sacramento Bee.  One thing that really stood out to me was a statistic they showed for Gray Lodge.  In 1983 they killed 2752 roosters and in 2000 they killed a bleak 797, how sad is that?  Looks like CA may start benefitting, like the midwest states do with CRP land, as state officials have secured $19 million from the federal goverment to enroll 10,000 acres in a reserve program that pays farmers to take land out of production and work with biologists to benefit wildlfe.  In my opinion this is a good step in the right direction.

Mojave

Reaction score
Good grief, thats $1900 an acre. That's more than some California farmland sells for! How long is the land held fallow, and where do I sign up? Actually, the program sounds like a good idea, as long as the land is actually managed for wildlife, and the money is not all squandered on administration.

Whoadog

Reaction score
 At our Pheasants Forever dinner earlier this month Tom Blakenship from F&G addressed the crowd and mentioned they need a volunteer to live at Grizzly Island for the pheasant study, I was wishing I was retired I would jump on it, at 33 my wife told me not to even think about it.  My point is hopefully they are putting "our" money to good use and we will see a result.

Brian

Top Bottom