Pheasants 2013 reports are good so far.

warren nelson

Reaction score
It looks like it could be another great year. if they get some rain this spring and summer need those bugs and waterholes. Pro Pheasant is stocking over 3600 hens for Clark County,1st release done, more to happen this weekend. That means more birds this fall for us to hunt. If they hatch first part of June the roosters will be grown/colored out by opening day in Oct. I will be back there the 2 week of Nov for 5-7 days. Better get more shells ready.

warren nelson

Reaction score
We are headed back on the 19th of Nov and coming back to So. Ca. on the 25th. Getting good reports on the hatch.

warren nelson

Reaction score
The 1st hatch was spotty in different areas of the county with late and cold weather, Good news is they are seeing some signs of a second hatch so that should help the numbers.

warren nelson

Reaction score
Bad news on the pheasant count in some places it down by 60% so the hunt this year will be spotty.

AimHigh

Reaction score
It's fun to read your reports except that the arrow is pointing down. I asked several conservation officers about their bird counts. They're response..."hey, this is still South Dakota!"

warren nelson

Reaction score
In a lot of areas in different counties the birds numbers are down, in some places they are down 60%, they was hit that hard, Where we are hunting the numbers are about the same as the last two years, We turned loose 80 hens this last spring in the last 2 years we have turned loose 140 hens just on 2 farms that have great pheasant cover and feed, so yes the numbers in some places are down. Clark County has a good group of guys that are working hard to turn more hens loose every spring and that does seem like it working out pretty good. The release sites they have more birds that flush even if they are hens you are still pointing and flushing birds and enjoying the dogs working. Hens are the key to bringing back the numbers IMO. CRP will be the item that will slow the Pheasant numbers down, When you farm it and don't leave cover for the birds and the numbers will drop quick. I hate seeing those sloughes all burning the last couple of years, But those farmers feel it the best thing to do to make money and keep farming most are pretty good taking care of the land for the future. Late season birds are the hardest to hunt and I'm sure we will raise up to the challenge and see how it stacks up to pass years hunts.

warren nelson

Reaction score
corn is coming out in leaps and bounds and very few birds are being seen. Looks like a tough year, But A good year for a nature walk as my nephew tells me. We will go up and try and find a few.

warren nelson

Reaction score
We did get into a few birds over all, did about 40 birds for the trip, my 3 man group did 30 of those birds, The 2 days it was cold was really tough hunting 4 and 7 degrees with wind was tough on us and the dogs. But we still hunted and got some birds up and even killed a some. Got a little snow and a lot of cold. Good sign was the amount of hens we saw, I would guess about 75% of the birds we flushed was hens. So the next year should have some hope.

Top Bottom