Photo Polishing

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
My pics have been coming out crystal clear but when I scan them to e-mail friends or to put on webshots I'm disappointed with the way they turn out. They just don't turn out anywhere near the quality of the originals. I tried scanning from 150dpi up to 600dpi but there isn't a whole lot of difference and not worth it from a file size standpoint. My scanner isn't the "greatest" either, so that's probably not helping matters much. Are there any free photo finishing downloadables out there that I can use? I checked the Kodak site but didn't see anything like what I am looking for.

kmitch

Reaction score
What I've found is gloss finish prints scan better than matte finish prints. WalMart usually does a good job  of photo processing but uses only matte paper for their one hour service. Sometimes I'll use WalMart or Sams for photo finishing but use the several day service to be able to get gloss finish pictures. Others in my area (Walgreens and K-Mart) offer gloss finish with one hour service but the results are not consistent.

Keith

Shrewshooter

Reaction score
Cabinfever Bob, If you want , email me one of the pics right out of the scanner and i'll see if one of my programs will help. If it does then i can send the program to you to download. mike (Shrewshooter)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
There is always some wok you can do on your scanned pics. How much work depends on your scanner quality.

For email or web scan them at 72 dpi. Don't set your scanner to sharpen the pics, let the pic editing do the sharpening as your last step.

You can try these steps to help out your pics, they may not all work for your pics. I use Photoshop 6.0 which is kinda spendy but there are other cheaper pic editing software that will do these functions.

I first boost the gamma or as some call it, the saturation. This helps get the vivid color. I then adjust the color. It seems like my scanner goes a bit heavy on the blue and red. I back them off and boost the green a bit if it needs it

I use the curve function next. Curves lets you adjust the entire tonal range of an image. This helps if there are shadows on a face or an area is too bright.

If the pic has some nasty flash bleed, a stick or anything I don't want in the pic I use the Clone feature to clone the unwanted object out.

After all this I then use the Unsharp Mask with around 100% for a starter amount and adjust from there. Do Unsharp Mask last because once you do it any other changes don't look very good. It really helps those pics that are jsut a but fuzzy.

Last thing I do is add a drop shadow if I want one on the pic.

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions Jesse! I use a version of Photoshop but I don't "think" it's as recent as the 6.0. I've never tried the gamma, curve function, or unsharp mask tools before, so that could be part of my problem! Guess I should just start playing around with the different options more to see what each one does. I'll be interseted to try the "curve" function that you mentioned as it sounds like that will help out with one of my biggest problems, brightness especially on the face/head as everything seems to blend in and there's not much detail.

The pics that give me the biggest problem are the ones taken at night. I seldom do any touching up with daytime pics but those nighttime are in desperate need of touching up.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom