photo tips

Jackalope

Reaction score
I see some great pictures out there and was just hoping for some tips on how to get the clearest shot possible, with the best color.  I am using an Olymput C3000Z and I need some tips on how to use it to it's fullest.  Thanks in advance!

Mike

Kickaha

Reaction score
I'd start with a general photography book.  How to take good-looking pictures has less to do with the equipment (assuming you have half-way decent stuff) and more to do with technique, such as how to frame pictures, shadows, morning vs. afternoon vs. evening, etc.

You also might want to look for Olympus user groups.  They'd be able to give you a lot more information on that particular camera.  

Tim

Reaction score
Jackalope, by the looks of your pictures I'd say you have that camera pretty figured out already. Nice wildlife pictures, Thanks for sharing them.

Kickaha

Reaction score
I didn't notice your gallery the first time around.  Nice pictures!  I'm jealous!

The one thing I noticed was that most of those pictures are pretty well compressed.  You probably know this, but the more you compress .jpg files, the worse they'll look.  I assume that this was done because of space restrictions on where you posted them?  If not, that's where you want to start.  Ideally, save the pictures in TIFF mode or JPEG with no compression.  Get extra memory media if that's what it takes.  Try not to do ANY compression on your source images.  Copy your untouched source images to CD every now and then to save HD space.  You can always scale down the image and compression later for posting to the net or other uses.

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
Ditto to what Kickaha said, also if you are working with jpegs, duplicate the original and work on the dupe (resizing, sharpening, etc.).  Jpeg's will suffer degration over time if you keep manipulating them.  (TIFF's won't, reason why I immediately convert to TIFF if I shoot Large Fine Jpegs).

I will post more info when I get a chance.

Eric

Jackalope

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips!  I haven't thought about using the TIFF mode.  To be honest with you, I didn't know the difference, except that it takes more memory!  I'll try that out and experiment with it some.  Thanks!

Mike

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
Well, depending on the amount of memory on your CF card, that might not be such a good idea.  Do you have Photoshop, or another type of photo editing software (it probably came with Photoshop LE)?  If so, you can open the original jpeg, then "save as" a .tiff .  That will give you a tiff original to play with and the only space you will be using is on your computer.  You can always burn those to CD in the future if you need space.

Hope this helps some.

Eric

Top Bottom