Pictures for the folks that like pictures

Jon Bain

Reaction score

Here is a little buck that was captured in my back yard about a hundred yards from the house.  This was at 6:00 AM on 6/30/01

This is the same deer at 9:00 AM on 6/30/01

Here he is again at 9:30 PM on 7/1/01.  I think this little fellow has a sanctuary in the thick woodlot behind the house.  I was a little nervous putting the camera out there because it is only about 60 yards from a blacktop road that every redneck in AL uses to access the river.  The camera is also just about twenty yards from a pipeline right of way.  Today when I went to put more corn out I found they just cut the right of way so I’ll be curious to see how this effects the little bucks movement patterns.  I know he must of felt secure moving through the tall grass to get to my camera set up.  Now with it cut his path is exposed to the county road.  He’ll adapt I am sure.  He has finally started feeding under my deer feeder.  It is about 60 yards from the house, but shielded from view by the thick woods between my back fence and the pipeline right of way.  Last year I couldn’t keep enough corn in the feeder for deer, now I only have one deer in the area it seems.  This reminds me, I have a real nice article on using these cameras to determine deer ratios and deer per acre information if anyone is interested I post the basic information given.

One more thing, I finished my second camera except for the holes in the cover.  It works well coming off the #2 pin and is quiter than using the speaker wires.  I also screwed up the camrea when the solder pulled the little gold strip off when I was putting the camera back together and it pushed the wires too hard.  I slept on it and had it fixed in about twenty minutes the next morning.

Ray

Reaction score
Nice shots.  I'd like to check out the population estimation information you mentioned.  Would you mind posting the citation?
Thanks
Ray

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Good pictures, Jon. Sometimes I wonder if the Owl PF should have all the sensors working in half shutter before a picture is actually taken? In other words, maybe the green light should be on? MY flash pictures that are close in probably would look more natural with less exposure. I remember reading something in the manual about red eye effect. With such a powerful flash I could hardly see the spots on the fawn. Just a thought. BTW, I need your URL for my links page.  

Jon Bain

Reaction score
Richard, I agree about the flash.  If you’ll notice the tree on the left side reflects a lot of light back at the camera almost washing out some of the area around it.  I thought about putting some black tar paper on the tree to prevent this, but will just end up moving the camera.  I’ve learned that it is best to set the camera up without anything close to reflect light back like this.  This also includes the ground.  I’ve had the camera close to the ground before and the reflection of light off the ground causes the wash out effect as well.  I’m not sure what to do about this when animals are close to the camera.  The reflection of the eyes is something that will happen as long as there is a flash.  I need to check up on the red eye feature to see if it can be used to help reduce some of this flash back.  I may also need to open up some of the sensors on the camera too.

Here is my web address: http://home.mindspring.com/~cervus-venator/

Ray, I’ll post that information hopefully this evening.  I now have another article about this too.  It may be on the magazines web site.  I’ll check that out and let you know.

JB

(Edited by Jon Bain at 2:35 pm on July 5, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Red Eye Reduction

Red Eye is caused from the flash bouncing off the inside of the eyeball.  

It was my understanding that the Red Eye Reduction feature shined a light in the person's eye so the pupil would shrink down and so minimize the flash reflection back to the camera.  This occurs just before the actual pix is taken......

Just wanted to clear up any "Shades of Gray" in this area  

Tinhorn

(Edited by Tinhorn at 3:51 pm on July 5, 2001)

Jon Bain

Reaction score
Okay Ray, I checked the magazine's web site http://www.gon.com but they do not have the July issue up yet.  The article is called Spy-Cam Science.  I have not read it yet so I can not give details on this one at this time.  The other article is by wildlife researcher Mickey W. Hellickson.

Here is a scan of the study findings on the left and how to caculate your own heard information on the right.  
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1478...=0&res=high

The study found that one camera for every 150 acres gives the best result.  To get this with only one camera you can move the camera to another 150 acres after getting many deer photos from the first 150 acres area.  

If you follow the caculation on the left side of the page you'll see how to get the numbers for getting your ratio of deer and the total number of deer in the area.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Great pics Jon. Any ideas where all your deer went? One thing these cameras do good, they sure let you know there are animals on the land you've never seen before.

About GON, some of those guys invited me to visit that site but I guess it's a private site right? The GON site wanted a password to get in.

I think I remember a Game Camera survey article in Deer and Deer Hunting  magazine a year or two ago. Is this the same people?

Jon Bain

Reaction score
I think the password is for the accessing certain parts of the board like discussion and chat.  I think it is just a registration process, but do not know for sure.  I just occasionally reference some of the articles they post from their magazine.  These can be accessed by anyone going into the gon.com site.  These guys are a Georgia based publisher and GON stands for Georgia Outdoor News.  It is a great publication for the state and all articles are based on state issues and information.  The Deer and Deer Hunting is published out of Michigan I think and it is a nationwide publication.  It I a great source of Deer Hunting information.  I believe I read that article they had.  I’ve run across several good articles on using auto cameras.  I like the GON article because it put the process in layman terms where anyone could understand the concept.

I think the deer may have changed their rout due to increased activity across the county road where two mansions are being built.  They were being built last year, but the activity has increased in the last few months and may have caused the deer to move or change their routs.  For instance, most deer last year were crossing the blacktop county road and cutting across the back corner of my yard and hitting the woods behind my house.  My bird dog loved barking at them as they crossed.  They knew he was locked up and paid him no mind.  Many a times I got up to go hunting in the wee morning hours and had deer grazing in my yard.  Last year I gained hunting permission to the 650 acres behind my house, but I will not hunt the deer I’ve been feeding.  In fact, I found a deer that was hit on the road by my house last year so I stopped feeding them and it was getting close to hunting season anyway.  It is illegal to hunt over bait in Alabama and I did not want to give the law any reason to suspect me of hunting over bait.  The little buck, feeding there now, crosses from the large 650 acre tract on the far side of the pipeline into the little block of woods behind the house without ever having to cross the county road.  I’ll give the camera two weeks as suggested in the GON article to see if any new deer show up and then I’ll move it deeper into the 650 acre tract to see what else is out there.

Advertisement

Top Bottom