Pictures from the home taxi shop

db 183

Reaction score
For various reasons, I have not been spending time on my hobbies.

This past weekend, I decided it was time to get back to basics and finish some projects.

I made these hat racks from the hooves of the 2 deer my daughter shot the past 2 seasons.

I made this lucky rabbits foot from a cotton tail I shot while deer hunting. I washed the feet in borax. Then used some of my daughter's hair dye to dye the foot. The dye was purple. The light fur turned purple and the darker part of the fur turned blue. I am going to do another foot tomorrow. We are going to dye it pink.

Attachments

Last edited:

boarhunter67

Banned
Reaction score
Did you have those feet freeze dried, or did you go ahead and skin them all out? Looks good. If you want to transition between the wood and hoof, try hot-gluing a circle of rope around each leg--not that it needs anything.

db 183

Reaction score
Did you have those feet freeze dried, or did you go ahead and skin them all out? Looks good. If you want to transition between the wood and hoof, try hot-gluing a circle of rope around each leg--not that it needs anything.
I just lay the shank on a 2X4 and let the hoof hang down at a 90 degree angle. The tendons will dry out and shrink up and hold them in the pose you see them for ever.

I have a hat rack done in 1998 with a ton of hats overloaded on it and the hooves have maintained their appearance and form the entire time.

I clean the hoves and fur with dry borax powder and let them dry. Then I drill out the marrow and glue a wooden dowl inside the bone.

I put screws through the wood base and into the dowls. Instant hat rack.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom