Pig Down!

NatureDriven

Reaction score
So, my broken hand has finally heeled and although we've been out hunting at least 4 weekends since mid February with it broken, I decided that last weekend was the weekend we were going to kill a pig no matter what it took.

We arrived at the Tejon at about 6am and got right to it. With hi hopes and an area I felt would produce, we quickly began climbing hills and got into position. The wind was our friend and the birds were flying everywhere. Fresh sign lay around where I thought we might find the pigs and our adrenalin was pumping! Slowly, as the minutes passed and began turning into an hour, another hour turned into two, our initial excitement slowly turned to knowing that today's hunt would be more difficult than I had originally hoped for.

We took off to another spot that I know doesn't get much hunting pressure and hiked and glassed for another few hours. Again, nothing. At this point we layed in the grass and took a nap for an hour or so.

After getting a good nap for the rest of the afternoons hunting, we took off to another location on the ranch that I thought must be holding the pigs. Unfortunately, we still couldn't get on them but we did find a beautiful bobcat . . .

As the day slowly began to wind down, Whitney thought it would be a good idea to head over to a location we found the pigs moving through the previous weekend. As we hiked around the area, then sat and glassed the surrounding hills, it seemed like we would have to try it again the following morning. Then, out of know where with about 5 minutes left on the clock, as if God himself released them from their gates, one black animal ran through my binoculars vision way off in the distance, then another, and another. At this very moment Whit had begun walking back to the truck. Needless to say I grabbed her and we ran to the truck, tore down the mountain, jumped out and hiked like machines to where we thought they were headed. As I got up to the top of the hill, there on the otherside, about 35 yards away were 8 pigs. Shoot time was clicking down her seconds, so I grabbed my sticks, set up, and whack!, pig down!! I used Winchesters new E-Tip lead free ammo in .300WSM. Boaritos and hamboargers here we come!!

I love how hunting makes you work hard, and when you think the days is done, everything can come to fruition in moments.

BDB

Reaction score
Nice work, and nice pics

One Track

Reaction score
I'm betting that's the south side. Congrats on the hog. But, bigger congrats on getting out there in the perty country with your woman. Very cool to just lay back in the grass and chill. Great pics. Your post took me out of the office for a few minutes.

kphunter

Reaction score
I can hear those sausages sizzling right now - nice job on the pig!

KP

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Good job!!!

I'll be on the south side next weekend if I see your red truck I'll stop and say hi.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
it has to be the best to share a hunt with your wife, congrats on the pig, good story and photos thanks for sharing!..............tra

oregoncritters

Reaction score
Very cool..Congrats on a good hog. Not many things better then hanging out with your girl in pig country:)

chirohunter

Reaction score
I bet it felt great to shoot one with something other than your camera....like the previous month! I'm sure that hand has never felt better! Congrats on the nice pig!

Bwana Turtle

Reaction score
Congratulations

What did you use to get that oaval spotlight on that picture ?
Tell Whitney I'm madly in love with her, or at least that she has a fan. No, tell her I'm madly in love with her, just don't tell my wife !

Don't worry too much , I'm a geezer in traning.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom