Pig, Sheep and Turkey

Bulleye

Reaction score
Well a few last minute plans worked out and I managed to go to the Big Island for some hunting. Went on three trips one to some private land another to Mauna Kea and another to Puuanahulu. The hunts where fun but had a hard time getting the query in sight. On the first day we went out for some Rams but managed to only see a few herds of Ewes but had fun stalking the heard looking for the Ram. It was archery only so things were even more interesting. We hiked from 7 or so till about 7pm with a few breaks in between but the A'a is hard stuff to hike on and you better have some good boots. The next hunt was on some private property we managed to get close to a pig but we had to crest a small gravel hill to get to him and he huffed at us and was gone. But the resident Turkey was fun to mess with. The next hunt was a short hunt, managed to get close to a nice sow but she got away. I didn't have my release on my hand when I saw her. There where a few other pig I could hear but I could not see them anywhere in the thick brush. It was a great trip but maybe next time I will stick something for the freezer.

HIhunter

Reaction score
Nice Pics! It sure is nice over there, huh? Too bad you didn't stick anything, but even a bad day hunting, etc...

AZ Jim

Reaction score
Nice pics !

Thanks for sharing !

AZ Jim

cazador247

Reaction score
Ninja,

You forgot your stealthiest techniques with all the walking you have been doing lately. It sure looks pretty open where you hunted. How close were you able to get to your query? It’s too bad I wasn’t able to go with you; that dam certificate and work. I hope you show me some more pictures and I hope you brought back some good info, so that your new bow you bought gets a good use next time.

Bulleye

Reaction score
It was petty open spaces but I managed to get about 30 yards on one pig but I wasn't ready for it the Sheep we saw were about 20 to 100 yards depending on the herds and the turkey was 10 yards but we were asked not to shoot it so we just played with it. I saw a few other turkeys the day after the season and one was 10 feet that I spooked and another was about 45 yards away. I have a better idea of where to go next time and I will probably bring my bow and rifle depending on where I want to hunt. It was nice being back home for a few days. Hopefully next time I will connect. Oh and don't buy tickets on Aloha Airlines they went out of business and I had to buy a ticket for my return trip. It made things interesting.

Glass eye

Reaction score
At least you got to go hunting in Hawaii, not a bad place to get skunked.
Would you be interested in bowhunting axis deer on Lanai next february ?
I've hunted there with bow, rifle and muzzleloader and the archery hunt is the best.
Contact me

EvBouret

Reaction score
Too bad you never got to skewer anything. At least it gives you a good reason to come back.

Glasseye: How much does a hunt on Lanai cosT?

Glass eye

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (EvBouret @ Apr 4 2008, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Too bad you never got to skewer anything. At least it gives you a good reason to come back.

Glasseye: How much does a hunt on Lanai cosT?[/b]
Lottery tag for Non-Resident is $50 and I think resident is about $10
Lanai Co. Archery permit is $50 res or not and it's good for 365 days and no-limit any deer.
Truck rentals are about $100 a day and split 4 ways ain't bad.
There's a new local guy on the forum "Guzy" he says he has a truck that he keeps on Lanai so that would eliminate the truck rental, only fuel cost.
A house is $25 per person per day and includes a chest freezer.
Campground is $5 a night.
Axis is the best meat in the world. Let's do it !

Huntr Pat

Reaction score
Glass eye,
When do you need submit for the draw. What kind of paper work can be done now to make it esasier to prepare for next year?

Glass eye

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Huntr Pat @ Apr 4 2008, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Glass eye,
When do you need submit for the draw. What kind of paper work can be done now to make it esasier to prepare for next year?[/b]
The applications for axis are in late November.
The license can be purchased online at www.dofaw.net after the purchase you click "view license" and then you print it.
Before you can buy your license you must obtain a "letter of exemption" provide proof of an original "Hunter Safety Certificate", not a hunting license. It's real easy and can be done online.

Bulleye

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Glass eye @ Apr 4 2008, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Huntr Pat @ Apr 4 2008, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glass eye,
When do you need submit for the draw. What kind of paper work can be done now to make it esasier to prepare for next year?[/b]
The applications for axis are in late November.
The license can be purchased online at www.dofaw.net after the purchase you click "view license" and then you print it.
Before you can buy your license you must obtain a "letter of exemption" provide proof of an original "Hunter Safety Certificate", not a hunting license. It's real easy and can be done online.
[/b][/quote]

I would love to go to Lanai and do some Axis deer hunting. I spoke with a guide years ago about doing it but my plans fell through. He sent me some meat and it was great. Keep me in the loop and perhaps we can figure something out. Unfortunately Aloha Airlines went out of business( I got caught up in the middle of it and had to buy another ticket to CA on Hawaiian) so airline will be limited to United, US Airways and Hawaiian unless they fold from Go Airlines competition. I am curious as to how ticket prices will go within the next few months.

HIhunter

Reaction score
Hey guys,

If anybody is around in Hawaii this month, I'd like to head to Lanai for a weekend, or better for me, a 2-3 weekday hunt. I was thinking of hunting the private land, obviously, so it will cost to get the permit, but I am definitely up for camping and sharing a 4x4 to save some bucks...

Let me know

HIhunter

Glass eye

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HIhunter @ Apr 4 2008, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey guys,

If anybody is around in Hawaii this month, I'd like to head to Lanai for a weekend, or better for me, a 2-3 weekday hunt. I was thinking of hunting the private land, obviously, so it will cost to get the permit, but I am definitely up for camping and sharing a 4x4 to save some bucks...

Let me know

HIhunter[/b]
I'm going to be on the Big Island in May but I won't have time to island hop, I'm only going to be there 8 days.

Top Bottom