Pigs and Park land

Cahunter

Reaction score
I saw that artical below, what a shame that they would reather pay a trapper to come in a take the hogs then let us pay to go in there and hunt them.Now you knwo why the state has trouble making a budget work. They are turn ing there back on ten's of thousands of dollars. I email a guy at the state once when they where doing the samething in Coe park and he told me " no hunting in state parks"

Kentuck

Reaction score
Oops. I didn't see Backcountry's post.

I hate reading articles like that. Have paid to go on hunts and have done some public land stuff but this kind of thing irks me. Then the pigs just get sent off to a rendering plant. I don't understand how back east they can donate deer to the needy but here they can't donate the meat.
I'm stopping.

sportyg

Reaction score
Seems to me they should look into opening the area to bow hunting. For pigs and maybe deer now and then.. Red fox however would have to be with rifle I would think..

easymoney

Reaction score
IMHO,
It's all about liability...
The question gets asked repeatedly on this forum about crossing County or State Parks with weapons, for hunting. The answer is always NO. See the post about a hunter being shot and killed out on the Carrizo Plains over the weekend. With the sheer volume of people who are out in the field, it's only a matter of time before there is a sad accident. So, DFG, State Parks, County Parks would rather pay any amount for a liscenced and insured Federal Hunter to do the job, than let citizens solve the problem.
All the private land I used to hunt, that is now in wine grapes is a good example. They don't let ANYONE hunt the pigs(even though they do serious damage to their cash crop) for fear of one law suit. The farmworkers just shoot them and dump 'em n a ditch.

Coondog

Banned
Reaction score
easymoney... If they specified certain dates or times to hunt them wouldnt it work??? Would it be any different than hunting on public land?? Just put some signs up that the general public cannot enter during these times and let the hunters go in there and do the job.... just my

easymoney

Reaction score
coondog,
Sounds good to me, but it isn't up to me... Here where I live and hunt pigs on the Central Coast of Kalifornia, there are more now, than ever before and they do considerable damage. BUT, I have tried to gain access to public areas like the county parks, just to pass through or cross and not hunt until I was in the adjoining public hunting area. I have been shot down every time. Personally I feel we are lucky to get to hunt the few public places we have left... Public land is Public and yet that doesn't mean squat to a beuracrat in Sacramento. It's all about LIABILITY. In many other states they even allow waterfowl hunting on public lakes and even have areas off limits to those not hunting. But, here in the land of fruits and nuts, we are just lucky we can still go hunting, PERIOD.
Just my two cents...

Coondog

Banned
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
But, here in the land of fruits and nuts, we are just lucky we can still go hunting, PERIOD.[/b]
Good point.. You guys sure have some great land out there in Cali... Too bad the libs have ruined it for everyone!!

Cahunter

Reaction score
the liablity problem could be solve very easy. They just don't want to do it. All you would have to do is sign a contract waviong your right to sue if you are hurt while hunting. I mean if private ranches do it all the time why can't the county?

easymoney

Reaction score
cahunter,
That would be too easy... They would have to do something constructive to earn their salary. Wildlife refuges for waterfowling do it all the time. They are very strict about the rules and write alot of tickets every year. But, most of the people sited are breaking such simple rules, like no loaded guns in the parking lots, no early shooting, etc... The idea that ethical hunters could go into an area and do the right thing without hurting themselves or others, is beyond most beuracrats or administrators.
Other states do it all the time. I remember seeing a news story about a small town on the east coast that did not allow any hunting or discharge of firearms at all. They had such an exposion of deer and people were hitting so many with their cars that they had to bring in Federal wardens to dispatch the over population... Go figure...
I live near a town that just passed an ordinance that makes it illegal to shoot deer even with a bow in the city limits. And I have seen some whopper bucks right in among the homes...

Attachments

PIGIG

Reaction score
Originally posted by easymoney@Aug 17 2004, 11:41 AM
And I have seen some whopper bucks right in among the homes...
easy money
is it just for residents or can we all come to your house

barel74

Reaction score
California lawmakers don't care about hunters. They are to busy worying about the trees, birds, and lizards. Obviously none of these people are landowners. If ranchers and lanowners had there way, pig hunting would be free(as it was 5 years ago). The pigs in my area, are just out of hand. If you farm barley, hay, wheet, or any fruit orchards, the pigs can cut your crop in half, if not worse. These tree huggers are cutting all of our throats. I hope other states are paying attention to CA., because it's just a matter of time untill the tree huggers can't afford to live in CA anymore and have to move to your states. Then they will start the fight all over again.

fishingsetx

Reaction score
Hey barel74,

You need to move to texas. Its there is no season on treehuggers and they can be taken by any means possible!!!!

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by barel74@Aug 18 2004, 09:57 AM
..If ranchers and lanowners had there way, pig hunting would be free(as it was 5 years ago).

....These tree huggers are cutting all of our throats.
Ummmm....

Could you expand on those a bit?

easymoney

Reaction score
pigig,
Those bucks were photographed in a neighborhood, near a city school, laying between two houses. And, they are still there today. The city passed an ordinance making it illegal to hunt(even with a bow) inside city limits. So, they will grow old together or be run over by cars...

And, as to the question of the price for pig tags. Feral pigs(ALL PIGS) are a non-native animal competing with the native species. And to most ranchers and landowners they are a pest. It is obscene, that DFG can and does charge whatever they want to, to hunt a feral animal, a pest and not even a game animal. They charge because they can... It is a cash cow for them( there are more pigs taken here annually than deer ). The money like all tag fees, is supposed to go back into the habitat and game animal management. But, as most who are from Kalifornia can attest, this flat out does not happen... It used to be that there were no pig tags and no limit on the pigs, you could take as many as you wanted and you'd be helping the landowners out.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
I think there's a few folks here who need a reality check.

The price of tags is in NO way preventing landowners from providing FREE access to hunt pigs. It is a bit ironic to hear about all the damage pigs do to private property, yet those landowners have NO problem selling hunting leases to licensed guides who charge $400-$600 a pop to cap a pig. Yeah - they'd sure like to give hunts away for free, but the evil state is preventing them.

As for the way the state is managing pigs somehow being related to their increasing numbers and damage. That's hooey. Look at the shining example of Texas. Rules and regs for hunting pigs are virtually nil, and the place is over run with the critters, and the population is showing no signs of decline. How would it be different here? Sure, it'd be more fun for us, and cheaper for us, but it won't control the numbers.

The fact of the matter is that hunting is a poor way of controling the number of pigs. They are too smart, too adaptable, and breed too fast for us to keep them under control. The only proven way to control their numbers and the damage they do is to trap them hard.

As for tree huggers preventing pig hunting in state and regional parks, again - it's reality check time. Peta types might not like the idea, but peta types do not neccessarily make tree huggers and vice versa. Believe me, I live in the capital of tree-hugging. It will really open your eyes the first time you see some old-school hippie grandma from the California Native Plant Society go absolutely murderistic at the mere thought of what feral pigs do to the landscape. Point her towards a real live one, and she might be pulling out her own 30-06 to blow a hole in them. serious.

You want to see another example of how pigeon-holes really don't work in the real world, you should see the organic farmers around here. They just might make those Native Plant grannies look tame.

Cahunter

Reaction score
barel74

If you or anyone else has a probelm with pigs damaging you crops email me I live in Gilroy and would love to come out there and get ride of the pigs. I make them into linguisaand hot links. which I would gladly share.

PIGIG

Reaction score
Originally posted by easymoney@Aug 19 2004, 06:39 AM
The city passed an ordinance making it ILLEGAL to hunt(even with a bow) inside city limits
sorry i got so caught in the post i failed to see ILLEGAL my eyes whanted to see legal

brknarrow

Reaction score
atascadero bucks? hunting here on the central coast is not what you know but who youknow

barel74

Reaction score
Originally posted by Rancho Loco@Aug 19 2004, 09:32 AM
I think there's a few folks here who need a reality check.

The price of tags is in NO way preventing landowners from providing FREE access to hunt pigs. It is a bit ironic to hear about all the damage pigs do to private property, yet those landowners have NO problem selling hunting leases to licensed guides who charge $400-$600 a pop to cap a pig.
These ranchers who charge that much money for pig hunts are not killing the pigs because they are doing damage to their property. They are killing them for a profit. Of the farmers who's crops are being damaged, most are happy to let you hunt for free, just to try to rid them of the problem. But, at $15.00 a pig, who can afford to put a dent in the pig numbers. All this inflated fee is going to do is cause more poaching. And in the end, CDFG will end up selling less tags. I will agree, some farmers see the hog population as a cash cow. But, most ranchers, at least in San Benito County, just want them gone, or thinned out. If you can show proof of damaged crops you can get a depedation permit, but you can't get one for damage to pasture land(which is our problem).

cahunter- thanks but we do a pretty good job of keeping them thin, just doing some venting. I guess being raised hunting pigs for nothing, you just start taking pig hunting for granted. Next thing you know, there will be a season.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom