Pigs and Rice

pappy

Reaction score
Does anyone know if pigs do damage to rice fields, like they do to other crops ???any info appreciated.....Pappy

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Yeah, pigs do damage to the rice fields. I've hunted with an operations manager @ one of those rice drying plants for deer. He said most farmers with pig problems have depredation permits in that area. Story was, about 150 pig were taken in one of the drainages running under I-5 in the Colusa/Maxwell area a few years back. That was all at night.

There are also some pig that have made it as far as Grey Lodge. Also some in the Sutter Buttes run down into the Butte sink on occassion.

RIFLEMAN

Reaction score
Hogs will not only eat the heads of the plants-thereby destroying the crop-but will skew the carefully crafted and managed level of water by rooting the cells and checks.

Let's put it this way...

With the exception of hunting, feral hogs are not too conducive to any type of agricultural operation, or the preservation of natural habitat, biodiversity or areas of human habitation. I love them dearly, but they are quite the liability in most aspects.

LeeChul

Reaction score
I've never seen it personally, but just imagine, you're a pig it's hot and you just stumbled upon the biggest mud hole you've ever seen in you life... That sounds like an equasion for serious damage to me.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by RIFLEMAN@Jul 30 2004, 05:28 PM
Let's put it this way...

With the exception of hunting, feral hogs are not too conducive to any type of agricultural operation, or the preservation of natural habitat, biodiversity or areas of human habitation. I love them dearly, but they are quite the liability in most aspects.
Yep.

They're quite remarkable critters...Adaptive, durable, smart, and very productive.
Which results in the problems they pose.

pappy

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all your input...now, all I have to do is find someone with rice fields and a hog problem.......thanks again...Pappy

Latest Posts

Top Bottom