Pigs are mean

ooja

Reaction score
I went hunting last weekend with my old hunting and fishing buddy Pat. This hunt took place on a public access type area, and Pat doesn’t like to spread around too much information, so out of respect I have to withhold a few things.
[attachment=51566:Sunrise.JPG]

Started off the morning at sunrise and went to the place where we had scouted. We busted 3 pigs the night before in a field. Went to a high spot and glassed for about 3 hours until it started to get hot, not a thing moving. We pulled out and went to a different area closer to the water and found disgusting amounts of sign, heavy trails very deep with wallows and tunnels cut through the thick stuff, scat everywhere, and decided to make that the evening stand. We returned around 4:00 and sat until dark, and didn’t see a thing at all. The next morning we scouted again and I thought I found an area that looked promising, wet muddy tracks crossing a road combined with the hot days gave me an idea that I found a recent crossing, probably to an evening feed site, so we had our last evening stand spot. I sprayed some Dominant Boar urine on a stick on the trail and we left. On the way out we found another hunting party of 3 had parked where we were the day before and they had killed 3 hogs yesterday evening (roll eyes).
[attachment=51567:3_pigs.JPG]

They seemed to be very knowledgeable, I am not so much on the pigs, so I helped a little with the skinning when an extra hand was needed and took pics, asked questions. One of the pigs stunk pretty bad. When they had skinned out the leg they found it had been previously shot and had a puss pocket in it, however the pig ran just fine and acted like there was nothing wrong, strong critters.
[attachment=51568:puss_Pocket_Leg.JPG]

They said there was a pig in the thick stuff and asked if we wanted to be part of a drive. Awful nice of them considering, so we set up with a shooter on each end and pushers in the middle. We pushed through and back but had no luck, smart pig I guess.

So they wanted to go have a few beers and lunch, invited us along, we all hung out they were great guys, had huge amounts of experience, I wish I could hunt as much as they do. They were going back to try for one more that evening.

We were feeling pretty low, but I am not one to crowd another guy’s fishin hole or hunting spot, so we decided to stick with our plan, and set up 3 hours before light downwind from where the muddy trail crossing was and wait.

About an hour passed and 2 piglets crossed a trail into the brush downwind from us, going the wrong direction from what I predicted. Things looked grim. Pat kept his eyes glued to that crossing, I watched the other, and glassed the field. We sat for almost 2 more hours with no sign of anything to show for it. I had glassed the field a hundred times and my eyes were getting tired. The sun was in our faces, not ideal, but we had set up with the wind in mind. Pat started talking about leaving but I was stubborn, this was our last day. 15 minutes before dark a big hairy sow appeared right where I thought she would. Her head was down and she was working that stick all over with her nose, not looking in our direction at all.

I didn’t want to surprise Pat, so I just said:

“Pat, left.”

He turned, saw, his body froze, then the gun came up, took a second to steady and “Pow” then “REEEEEEE!” the pig let out a short squeal and took off running toward open field. It ran about 150 yards to some brush piles, stopped just before them and staggered, then went in. I gave Pat a radio, and I stayed on the higher trail keeping my eyes open to watch for the hog, he went on looking.

[attachment=51569:pat_Hunting_Brush.JPG]

He found some blood, not a lot though. He thought he heard some rustling going on in one smaller stand of brush. The light was nearly gone, and I was getting very worried. We were not sure of the shot, and needed that hog out before dark…I was definitely not going to mess with that thing after dark in there.

I used my carry stick out in front of me and went in a little at a time, Pat covered both sides of the brush. We figured she would pop out the other side and run for it.

That damn hog charged me! Scared the hell out of me! I poked her in the head with the stick but she kept coming. I slapped her hard with it, even kicked her in the head all the while backpedaling out of that brush pile. When I emerged and Pat had a shot he dropped her hard, and with all the adrenaline, put another one in her for good measure. The plan worked but I won’t be trying that again. She looked small in the field. I had to lighten the pic to be able to see the hog, it was much darker that the pic shows.

[attachment=51570:pat_Pig_Field_Pic.JPG]

We gutted her, drug her out and headed for the truck. The other party called us on cell and they had killed a nice boar. They called us to come have a look. I took a few pics, but the camera was not set up very well for night shots, and I was being eaten alive with mosquitoes, so I didn't fool with it.

[attachment=51571:Boar_Pic.JPG]

When we got her home and set her up to skin, she ended up looking a lot bigger, she was a pretty big sow. I had a great time. Pat was the only one with a permit to shoot, I went along to help, and after it was all said and done, I am glad I did, it would have been tough for one guy to haul that thing out the half mile back to the truck. If you know where this hunt was, please keep it to yourself, out of respect to the hunter’s wishes. Thank you for reading my post.

[attachment=51572:pat_Pig_Garage.JPG]

Attachments

BrysonHesperiaResort

Reaction score
Really great story, and yes, she is a beautiful pig. Enjoy the meat, I'll bet she's tasty. Great job on the write up and the hunt. Thanks for posting it up... Cheers!
Deedy

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
congrats on your successfull wild boar hunt, nice photo's and a lot of action, good story, thanks for sharing!.........tra

Flatbroke

Reaction score
ooja,

Nice story, and great outcome for private or public (even more so the later) anyway, your request cracked me up. I understand and appreciate your excitement and eagerness to post the results of yours and the others efforts, but posting about results in a public area on a hunting forum open to the public and not wanting anybody to say where it is at is funny to me.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Great story, and nice work on the pig! It's a real nice feeling when a plan works out. Just gotta watch those critters when they're hurt and hiding in the thick stuff! Glad that all came out OK.

ooja

Reaction score
Flatbroke:
Yeah, it is kind of a weird request...here is a little history behind it.

Pat and I fish San Diego very locally in my Center Console, offshore blue water. I have been fishing tuna yellowtail dorado, etc, for about 15 years and watched the whole scene change. First people posted where they were catching fish when the Internet sites were small, and those in the know could figure out how to get out there and have a good starting point. There were only a few boats out using the Internet info, so it was no big deal, the guys were good fishermen, and knew what they were doing for the most part everyone caught more fish. Over time these sites became more and more popular, with lots more people going out, and soon if you posted about a bite, and went the next day, you found several hundred boats out there all with sonar on, fish were put down, nobody was catching. A trend started and people stopped posting at all. Now it has finally become socially acceptable to post reports without locations. I am starting to post again. I am also starting to become a lot more successful in hunting and thought I would try to post here with the story, and see if I could do so without giving up the spot (mostly Pat's wishes, but I also believe it is prudent). I have not posted about many successful hunting and fishing trips for fear of my spots getting overrun. This trip was so fun, I decided to give it a go and see what happened, so based on the reaction, I may continue posting, or go back to lurking...we'll see.

Flatbroke

Reaction score
I here you, I used to fish for salamon quite often during the season, and can deffinately appreciate a good tuna bite, and know all to well the flood of boats trolling or mooching the numbers if given out on a wide open bite. Kinda like gold rush, people here about it they will be coming in droves.

good luck on the future hunts.

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
Great story, I don't think you have to worry to much about the people on here saying anything... but you might see one or two next time you are out.

troutndeer

Reaction score
Great story!! Glad to see proof of a public land hog!!!

P.S. how bout a hint? South, central, north part of the state?

upper

Reaction score
Im thinking south central,Tehon Ranch,private Upper On second look I am not thinking,I was thinking of MJB's post sorry.Could i get even with a pickle pepper? Upper

SDHNTR

Reaction score
ooja,
Fine job. Nice pics.

BTW, you are spot on about the SD offshore fishing scene. The change in the last 4 or 5 years has been insane. Every ding dong with a Bayliner, a GPS and access to Bloody Decks thinks they are an instant expert.

Kentuck

Reaction score
Nice hogs! Now I'm really bummed I missed the deadline for that place.

One Track

Reaction score
That was a great read. Nice job on the hog.

Brent
Boat Ho

superduty

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
First people posted where they were catching fish when the Internet sites were small, and those in the know could figure out how to get out there and have a good starting point. There were only a few boats out using the Internet info, so it was no big deal, the guys were good fishermen, and knew what they were doing for the most part everyone caught more fish. Over time these sites became more and more popular, with lots more people going out, and soon if you posted about a bite, and went the next day, you found several hundred boats out there all with sonar on, fish were put down, nobody was catching.[/b]
First off nice pig and thanks for the write up. Secondly, we used to post on the AMS buddy boaters. I know what your talking about. We did use the connection to slam some guys one year though. We had them all to ourselfs untill this boat slid up onto our paddy without as much as a wave. It's a good thing we had the last two for three limits already hooked and as soon as they hit the deck we hailed any buddy boaters that were in the area. It was still early in the moring around 8:30. You should have seen the look on those guys faces when we gave out the numbers. It was classic. By the time we finished washing down the deck and cracked our first beer all you could see in 360degrees was water breaking off boats bows at full throttle. When we left the spot at least four boats had bent rods. It was awesome. Oh and bye the way, the first skipper that showed did hail us on the radio and asked permission to slide down on the paddy. We told him not to mind the other boat and that the paddy was ours and slide on in. We got alot of thanks that day except from one boat.
Limits for everyone.

Birdi23nls

Reaction score
If I was concerned with people locating my spot, I probably would not post pictures of landscape or pictures were you can see mountians or landmarks in the background. I know I was going to post pictures of some bucks I killed when I first joined up on this site, but did not want anyone figuring out where I hunt on public land from the pictures. Maybe I should take pictures of the horns or the mounts?

ooja

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts guys...it was a great time. I've only been specifically for hogs 5 times, never guided, always on public land. I had a friend show me the ropes. This was a guide yourself kind of deal and we had to work it and scored, it was very rewarding. I learned a lot reading here, and attribute much of my success to the information from this board. I will try to post more adventures on here now, though I am mostly a quail and deer hunter.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom