Pigs in Spain?

ltdann

Could try SCI, they might be able to direct you to outfit that they are affiliated with.

tpuig

JHO Team Member
Use your google-fu for a list of outfitters and/or boar hunting in Spain.
Where are you going to be?

There are a lot of boar in the northern regions. Be very very very clear on what you want, because the trophy fees can be extremely expensive. Sometimes in the thousands of dollars even for trophy boar.

Oh yeah! Make sure you go in the fall when they're fattened up on "bellotas" or accorns. The hams from those pigs - "Jamon Serrano, Pata Negra" - can fetch up to $2000!! Jamon=Ham Serrano=of the Mountain Pata=foot negra=black. Thus, black footed mountain ham. Named such because the wild pigs have black hooves. A ham can take 2 years to cure. AND GOD ALMIGHTY they are GOOOOOODDD!!!

leftyhunter

Jesse had link to Der Spiegel which stated that in France 500k wild pigs are harvested and 450k pigs are harvestred in Germany. It might be cheaper to hop accross the border to france they must have some wild pigs in the Perynees. Perhaps the price for a bow hunt will be lower then Spain. If you have a chance maybe a private land owner would let you take out some piggies with a bow since the pigs are a real nusiance perhaps an add in local paper would work.

Good Luck;
Leftyhunter

bobby7321

there are pigs all over spain. but your only hope is booking a hunt.

as far as jamon serrano (including pata negra). that doesn't come from wild pig, they are just free ranging.

tpuig

JHO Team Member
My cousins in Italy used to hang hams to make prosciutto. Pretty amazing stuff, but I think it takes about a year to age properly. So don't expect to make any sandwiches from a pig you shoot there... ;-)

1withthewoods

i am stationed in spain right now and i know a few locals who hunt boar. they have shown me some pretty amazing dental features off of the ones they have killed.

bobby7321

not wild ones but a couple my family slaughtered over the holidays in southern spain. my brother just came back and brought some video of the "matanza" its a great yearly event.

you can see the difference in the body styles. the dark one is "iberico, pata negra"

the white one had a ham that weighed 45 kilos. haha.

Attachments

Top Bottom