Pigs on the run.

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Last weekend I was up on the ranch and had a good stalk with my bow on a group of pigs early on Saturday. I had allready killed one that morning with the 06 so I was trying for a second strike of luck with the bow. I started to walk the pig beds that are on this steep hill with several creeks; wet and dry, that tie into the bottom of the canyon. I had the wind in my face coming down from the top of the hill. I'm walking on a pig trail side hilling it and I run across some green pig scat. I get closer and can hear the pigs doing their soft grunts. So now I'm just above them trying to go down hill without making alot of noise while I'm stepping on the loose rocks. As I'm just about to get a visual on them I hear a pig squeal. I'm thinking that some young ones are with this group just messing around with one another. Then the older pigs start to grunt louder in the tall grass and I know they will be gone soon so I take a few quick leaps to try and head off the group but they split in every direction but towards me. So I try to keep the wind in my face and side hill one of the trails the pigs seem to have used to escape. I'm thinking what has happened to make the pigs run? Maybe a yote or another big boar coming in and messing with some of the younger pigs and that's why they were grunting and running.

Last edited:

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
I'm cresting this ridge where I should be able to get a look far ahead of me and hopefully spot one of the pigs that I'm tracking. All I see is shear rock face and thick bushes. I glass for about 5 minutes and no luck on see them or hearing them. I think I know what group of bushes they are hiding in but it's impossible to get close enough for a shot with the bow so I start to look for movement from my vantage point. I'm looking down, up, and listening with great intent but nothing. I put down my binoculars and scan the canyon looking for any movement and I see a big red pig on the canyon floor eating something while resting on it's belly very strange, maybe it's bedding down I can't tell even with the binoculars because his back is to me and he's blocking what ever he's doing plus he's 700 yards away in the sage.

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
I watch this pig and he moves out from under the sage and I put some glass on him. He's got funny looking ears and he almost has stripes like the footballs do. I realize it's a bear and not a pig and he must be eating that piglet that let out that squeal. So I decide to climb...I mean slide down hill to get a better look and a picture to share with everyone. And to confirm my suspicion of what has gone down in front of me.

As I reach the bottom of the canyon I'm thinking I have made so much noise coming down hill that the bear will be long gone and I won't have a picture to show for it. That bear must have been hungry because he was still there and feeding away with out any concern. The wind is now swirling all over the place in the bottom of the canyon and the bear is going to take off any moment so I grab the camera and put down my pack and bow and grab my machete. I'm looking for tall trees that I can climb in case he makes a charge at me. Then I can use the machete to build a tree house while I'm waiting for the bear to finish his meal.:lol bashing sign:

Well I start to walk up to the bear I'm about 25 yards away and the wind is blowing right at him but he's so deep into his meal he doesn't care one bit. So now I'm snapping pictures and trying to focus for a clear picture. I now move down this dry creek bed that will put me broad side of the bear for a real good picture. I yell at him "HEY BEAR" and he turns but there are bushes in the way so I creep back to the trail that comes up behind him and get to about 15 yards and yell "HEY BEAR" he looks and I get a few shots before he takes off up the hill. I leave quickly so he can go back to feeding and enjoy the pig he killed.

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Here is the picture of two pigs me and another member killed at first light.

We start glassing before it's light and I see these little black dots in the wild oats I say, "I've got pigs!". As the sun comes up a little more we can tell that they are an easy hike to get to just a little up hill and the wind is in our face. So we walk up to where they are and we see about 8 pigs scattered under oaks and out in the open a nice size boar just munching away. I tell Eric when I shoot let one go on that boar in the open oats. I line up on a nice pig and ask Eric are you ready and he nods and the next thing I squezze the trigger and down goes my pig. I stand up now and Eric has hit his pig and the damn thing is running right for the road we are on.....I'm thinking perfect easy haul if he can kill it right now. Just then the pig stops and looks right at us he turns and then runs away kinda down hill away from us so I pull my gun up just in case he starts to get away. Eric lets him have one right in the neck about 35 yards away from us. Two pigs down by 6am.

Attachments

Kentuck

Reaction score
What a cool deal there. Nature in action. Nice colored bear too. You gonna try and get that one later???

559hog

Reaction score
"HEY BEAR!" I laughed for some reason. Nice bear, too bad I'm scared of them haha. I've been watching all these TV shows about bears and how they're losing their natural fear of humans.

m57jager

Reaction score
You're crazy brother. Walking to 15 yards of a feeding BIG bear! Unreal!! Good pictures, thanks for the story.

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
I can't hunt the bear unless I get $5k, but boy was I imagining that arrow going right behind the front shoulder and seeing one dead bear.
I will let the guides know where this bear lives so maybe some lucky hunter can put him down, I did see a big bear track in this area during the rainy season, I'm just glad I got to see him in action.

"HEY BEAR" what do you say?......."want to come out and play?"

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Cool stuff, Mark.

I have yet to see a bear down there, but I know they're on the place. Cool tale, and great pix.

socalkid

Reaction score
Very cool! When I was down there last summer with my membership I talked to a guy in camp saying he had seen a 7 foot bear down Beartrap road. I never saw one when I was there but I did come across a heard of 30 or so elk.

bpnclark

Banned
Reaction score
Nice way to spend a weekend. :toast-yellow:

Why would it cost you 5gs to kill a CA bear? Is that how much the ranch charges?

elkguys

Reaction score
great story,but the pics say it all!! to bad you didnt have a bear tag too.

kcravnit

Reaction score
nice

mjb nice pix...i havent been up since a few weeks back for an afternoon hunt but didnt see a soul....That sure does look like the north side...I have seen many prints bigger than my big ol mitts but have yet to see the monster....those pics are priceless...i would have watched him all day..u just dont see that everyday....im in vegas this weekend but next im up at the ranch.....cant wait..chime in if anyone wants to join me....

Shot

Reaction score
Awesome job Mark!!!!!! Can't wait to get up there myself.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Great story and pics Mark. I've read bears are hell on deer when they are dropping fawns too. What a way to wake up from a nap, a big mouth of teeth coming at ya.

Dain V

Reaction score
Great story, and pics. Now I am even more anxious for archery bear season. Maybe one of those tejon bruins traveled across the highway. I will have to try a pig call along with the fawn in distress.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom