Pigs

efm1aug1

Reaction score
Was wondering,If any one knows of any pigies up around the Arnold,Avery area?

PIGIG

Reaction score
they are there! just below avery and south west of the old boyscout camp. although it is mostly private land on that side. they do cross 49 once in a while just below trhe 19th hole. after you get through the small neighborhood it is NFS land. there are even a small population down in sheep ranch. but again mostly private.

huntingbret

Reaction score
Don't know why I can't post a new topic so I apologize for using someone else's post to ask my question. I'm from the Fresno area and was wondering if anyone can recommend any public area I can hunt on in hopes of tagging my first ever hog. I'm willing to travel up to 3 hours for a good public land hunt. I realize that everything nowadays is private and getting into private land with the owner's permission is a long shot. Not only that, I wouldn't know where to go and who to ask. Any info regarding that would be helpful as well. Thanks everyone!

myfriendis410

Reaction score
Your best bet is Fort Hunter Liggett. Try to hook up with someone experienced in spotting hogs or your trip may be rather frustrating. Bring water this time of year.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
Also, JHO members have reported pig success a few times at Upper Cottonwood public area. It is open to pig hunting at the start of the rifle season for A zone deer there (not sure of opening and closing pig dates). It is about an hour away next to San Luis Reservoir. Lower Cottonwood (shotgun/archery only) is to the right just as you start up the grade of Pacheco Pass; Upper Cottonwood is on your right just before you get up to the crest of the hill. Turn right into the parking lot, park, and walk your arse uphill for a couple hours. Public land hunting is tough, but that is all I do -- it's the hunt I like (and at my pace). Meat is real cheap at the market by comparison. Oh, and I have not gotten a public land pig yet -- not even a long distance sighting during the daytime (but seen a few in my headlights in the same areas at night -- and plenty of sign of course).

jackrabbit

Reaction score
FHL (Fort Hunter Ligget) is an army training base west of Hwy 101 not too far from King City. They allow civilian hunting on weekends with a paid pass There is probably a link here on JHO with all the details on how to get a pass, map, etc. To get there from Fresno you would go through Coalinga and cross the hills to HWY 101 at San Lucas, then get to the county road towards Jolon, I believe. It's been a while but I think it's about a 2.5 hour drive. You can also drive right through FHL without a pass and get into Los Padres forest where the land is reasonably hikeable just as you leave FHL. Lots of sign there the last time I was there 30 years ago, but didnt see pigs during daylight. It would be a nice chance to drive through FHL on the public road and see Los Padres on a non-hunting FHL day, but with the recent fire closure on that road, I don't know if you can drive past FHL into Los Padres. When I was a lot younger and gas was around $1 a gallon, I used my VW bug to cover a lot of California public hunting real estate, but things have changed, so now I play closer to home for the most part, so I can't say much about current game conditions.

huntingbret

Reaction score
Thanks Jackrabbit. I noticed that you are also from Fresno. Whereabouts in Fresno County do you do your pig hunting? I'm still trying to find a property to get my first pig. By the way, have you or anyone here hunted the Little Panoche Reservoir Wildlife Area for pigs? What's the success rate of that area? Should I even consider trying my luck there?

jackrabbit

Reaction score
I actually have not done much pig hunting in a couple years. My son is really into fishing off the bass boat now, so that is what we do on weekends. I have to really get back into shape before I look for pigs again (but I just came off a rough 4wd trip, and tough hike to Star Lakes fishing a few minutes ago and I matched my uphill time to what it was 7 years ago -- so I'm making progress on conditioning). I used to hunt for pig a bit by Pine Flat lake but never saw one during daylight. I drove past Little Panoche Reservoir Wildlife a year ago, but that was just to rescue my F350 when my son broke the steering shaft 4 wheelin up past New Idria, but I did not have a chance to hunt. But I always feel anyplace that has pigs is worth considering, just for the fun of it, and of course success would be oh so sweet in those tough places. I also used to follow their trails and rooting lines just past the west boundary of FHL -- they were always holed up in the dense brush and after crawling in the tunnel after them I figured out that I really did not want to find one of them when I was prone on my belly and could not even turn around to high speed low-crawl out of there!!! At my age, my body does not tolerate the heat as well anymore with extreme physical exertion, so I pick my hunts a bit more cautiously now. Most of these public land areas have transient pig populations in the accessible areas, and if not transient it is hard to get to where they hole up. I tried to get through the thick stuff near Pine Flat where their trails led, but we could not penetrate successfully even after a full day of trying. I won't give up on them though, I'll get back after them again. I'll probably try Pine Flat for pigs again, and eventually get an annual pass for FHL. But first I need to rebuild the motor for my early Bronco and make sure it is in real good shape. My brother and his friends got a pig at Upper Cottonwood a couple years ago by getting to the parking lot at 3:00 AM and humping it up to the top before first light, but I have never been up there yet.

huntingbret

Reaction score
Jackrabbit, thanks for the info. A lot of people I run into the stores are telling me to try my luck at Pine Flat. Of course, no one would specify a specific area of pine flat. It seems like a lot if not all of the land up there are all privately owned. People are also telling me to try pig hunting at Coalinga but again, no one would specify where exactly and I've heard it's all privately owned and the owners are not very forgiving out there. I'm on the site looking at BLM places and ran across the areas of Panoche wildlife area. I'm not too sure if that area has pigs or not. Maybe one of these days, I'll try my luck over there. On the other hand, if I'm able to find a friendly rancher, I would rather hunt at his ranch. I know that's a long shot though.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
Bret, I know three areas around Pine Flat that have some pigs, one of them requires a boat. I have a boat, but I won't leave it unatttended on the shore. My son likes to fish all day, so when the weather cools a bit, I figure maybe I will have him drop me off, then he can fish all day with his radio on, then I can radio him for a pickup when I need it. Email me and I'll tell you about a spot you can drive your car to and then hike (it's no real secret). Move your cursor to my handle on the left here and click on it. Then you will see a link to email me without entering my email address. When I receive it, it will show your email address and I can reply. If it does not work, post back up here and I will post my email address.

UPER

Reaction score
Hey huntingbret, a couple of areas around Coalinga would be Laguna Mountain and the Condon peak area. It is hot as hell up there right now so if you do go make sure you bring plenty of water, I have hunted both in the summer and after ten in the morning forget it, just to hot, winter and spring are your best bets up there I have shot one up there in the spring.

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
Huntingbret,

You might also consider the JHO Pig-O-Ramma at Tejon next year if you don't have any luck around Pine Flat.

huntingbret

Reaction score
Jackrabbit, I'm not sure why but when I followed your direction to send you a mail, it keeps giving me an error message. If you don't mind, shoot me a mail and I'll get back to you.
Uper, both places that you mentioned in Coalinga, are they both public blm properties? I don't want to be trespassing and getting into trouble.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
bret, I sent you an email thru JHO. email me back if you got it, or post here that you did not get it.

huntingbret

Reaction score
Weird, I'm not getting any messages in my e-mail or message box in JHO. What's wrong?

jackrabbit

Reaction score
don't know what is going on with your end Bret. I used JHO to send a test email message to myself and it worked. My email is robert franco at hotmail dot com. no spaces of course, all lower case letters. try that and if you don't get an email response from me, post that, and I will go ahead and post my home phone line which is totally reserved for the telemarketers anyway (answering machine). We're gonna make this work somehow!

map

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huntingbret @ Jul 21 2008, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Jackrabbit, thanks for the info. A lot of people I run into the stores are telling me to try my luck at Pine Flat. Of course, no one would specify a specific area of pine flat.[/b]
Bret, No problem…..There are no secrets here on JHO. When parked at Piedra Post Office the hill directly in front is mostly BLM land. Here is one of my maps:

[attachment=53357:pine_flat_dam_blm.png]

Attachments

UPER

Reaction score
huntingbret sorry I did not get back to you sooner took a road trip to do some fishing up at Wishon resevoir. Anyway the BLM land up in Coalinga is pretty well marked and is hard to get on to private land. All the ranches are posted and if it does not belong to them then WU owns the rest. Condon peak has allot of pressure and the pigs are pretty much transient. Laguna Mt. is a pretty hard hike into it going up over the other side and into a pretty good Valley or as some have mentioned here before as the ' Gorge' this time of year would be suicide with the heat and if you are not in decent shape I caution you on even making an attempt. You will definately feel it for a few days after. Guys have knocked down pigs at both places I have mentioned but as anyone will tell you public land hunting is tough, I hunted Condon for a few years with lots of frustration and pain before I even knocked my first pig down but it was well worth it in the end. Anyway good luck if you hit Pine Flat and let us know how it went, I have heard good things about the pigs in that area and would not mind trying it myself one of these days.

ltdann

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mapmaker @ Jul 23 2008, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huntingbret @ Jul 21 2008, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jackrabbit, thanks for the info. A lot of people I run into the stores are telling me to try my luck at Pine Flat. Of course, no one would specify a specific area of pine flat.[/b]
Bret, No problem…..There are no secrets here on JHO. When parked at Piedra Post Office the hill directly in front is mostly BLM land. Here is one of my maps:

[attachment=53357:pine_flat_dam_blm.png]
[/b][/quote]

What an outstanding map. However did you do that?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom