PIR goes off in daylight

big tom

Reaction score
Hey guys, i just bought a RS 425 and was trying it out before hacking it.  If I take it outside in partly cloudy or clear weather and point it to the sky or horizon (away from the sun of course), it goes off.   Does this mean that I have to mount the game cam in a dark wooded setting?  I thought that the PIRs need both heat and motion to be activated. Plently of heat outside.  Obviously, I don't want a bunch of pictures of blue sky.  Also, up here in the Northwest, we get a lot of rain.  Do raindrops of the PIR lens mess up the focal lenght?  Should I install a rain guard over the PIR lense and glass for the camera lens as well?

gizz

Reaction score
Welcome to the boards BigTom!
Umm, it may be going off cause of your movement on the way to pointing it to the sky. If you hold it there does it go out (reset)? If so does it keep triggering or just stays reset? I've never used one of the RS pirs but I should work in the same fashion as all the other IR Pirs. Moving my pirs without getting any of my parts in front of it will set mine off but since the cam will be staionary this should not be a problem. Your probably OK but maybe Arch or Richard would know a little more about this type of PIR. Good luck with your cam!

Fubar

Reaction score
big tom  Welcome to Jesses Forum. I am looking forward to your pics.            Fubar

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi Big Tom - You are catching on fast, and yes, the RS 49-425 was designed for indoor use. That means it will work best at indoor temperatures & lighting. I have a few rolls of recent 49-425 pictures posted at my WebSite, and if you view them you will notice that there are limitations during bright sunny days with the Owl PF also. So, improving the PIR without improving the Owl's automatic functions would be a waste of time. Arcy & I are working on a timer that will push the half shutter first to activate the Owl's automatic functions, and then push the full shutter to take the picture. That should improve the bright sunny day pictures a little when I use my thermostat.

All & all, it's best to follow Jesse's instructions first, and then set up the cam in a dark wooded setting to get your first pictures. I wired up both the 9 volt MS20 PIR & RS 49-425 PIR per Jesse's instructions, and they both work flawlessly.      

big tom

Reaction score
Gizz- you are right! I must have been moving the PIR a bit, and as motion is relative, it triggered it.    Thanks for that bit of the obvious.  Richard- you pointed out something that I was thinking about, that shorting the autofocus/exposure to the shutter must result in only one focus and setting available, that is why Jesse recommends a set  up in woods.  That's fine with me.  Look forward to your progress on the two stage trigger.   PS, this site is the best hunting site on the internet.  Thanks to you all, especially Jesse, what a lot of effort you must be in. you feel like big brothers to me helping me out.

Top Bottom